Pisac Market

Pisac, Peru

Pisac Market Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
the best market in Peru Nov 20, 2008
Pisac is known for its colorful market and is said to be the best market in Peru. The market runs every day now (I think) but is larger on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. There are tons of stalls selling t-shirts, alpaca wool garments, blankets, hats, artwork, silver jewelry, and just about any other type of souvenir you can think of. The main market is on the main plaza, but several booths extend out into the side streets.

It can be a little stressful shopping because you are haggled at every booth to stop and buy. If you even pause, they will thrust something in your hands and want you to buy it. Most vendors only speak Spanish but some know limited English. You are expected to barter to lower the prices, so a basic understanding of counting in Spanish is very helpful. The prices were pretty cheap so I sometimes I felt guilty and didn't try to lower the price. If you can't find your size, the seller will run off to another booth to find the right size.

I think you can get a tour from Cusco, less than an hour away, but it is nice to spend the night in Pisac and get an early start on the market. It runs 9-5. Also, if you hike down (or up) from the Pisac ruins, the trail brings you right through the market. This is a great place to buy souvenirs at a good price so you may want to do the majority of your shopping here - just be prepared to carry everything with you.
Pisac market
setting up the booths
market stalls on side streets
produce area
griffis82 griffis82
Dec 16, 2007
I lived in Pisac for 2 months in '06 and enjoyed walking through the market and watching the people from the balconies of the different resturants. Tour buses filled with tourists go there quite frequently.
Sitting at Mullu's Balcony
Daniel Daniel
Apr 03, 2007
Easily the best market in Peru. Pisac is a town and market outside of Cuzco that appreciates haggling. (Where in the United States can such a place be found?). The people there are pretty nice, but it can be a bit annoying to be begged to every storefront (by store I mean collection of tables covered in every sort of souvenir). Highly recommended for anyone wanting to shop in Peru.
The bridge into Pisac
Security checking the driver's pap…
A street in Pisac (market ahead)
tashy412 says:
the colours were beautiful in the market, all the spices in baskets. I have a photo of that somewhere
Posted on: Mar 13, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Pisac Market

Stop at the Pisac Market and then Pisac Ruins and our funny Guide Carlos
Our trip to Machu Picchu began with a tour of the Sacred Valley or 'Valle Sagrada'.  We stopped in the Pisac market and grabbed some fresh empanadas recently pulled from the oven.  Then as …Pisac market and grabbed some fresh empanadas recently pulled from the oven.  Then as we walked toward the marketplace…
Peru 2008: Day 4 - Sacred Valley Tour and back to Cuzco
Today was quite possibly the worst day of my entire life. The morning started off on a bad note as I awoke to the now familiar altitude sickness symptoms. Dizzy, heart pounding, tired. After a quick …market on the highway as we made our way to the larger and famous Pisac market. We picked up a few things…
The Sacred Valley
Sunday we took an all day tour of the Sacred Valley which is the area between Cusco and Machu Picchu with lots of ruins, markets, etc.  Organized tours are not necessarily my favorite thing to d…market prior to Pisac where I managed to buy an Alpaca hat and gloves for the trek.   The market

Check Pisac Hotel Deals