48 E 12th St, New York, NY, USA
www.piola.it - 212 777 7781

Piola New York Reviews

callmechia callmech…
A slice of Italy in NYC Mar 19, 2008
Piola was recommended to me as a place to interact with Italians and enjoy an authentic Italian gastronomic experience stateside. It didn't disappoint.

The restaurant is easy to find, about 1 1/2 blocks from the Union Square station.

Piola is mainly a pizzeria, but also offers salads, some pasta dishes, and a selection of meat and fish appetizery-things. It's quite authentically Italian, as there are many pizza joints, especially in Rome, set up with menus just like this.

The pizza menu has about 40+ different kinds, such as the "Siracusa" with mozzarella and artichokes or the "Giallanera" with eggplant and bell peppers. And, just as you'll find in Italy, there is a selection of "pizze bianche", pizzas without tomato sauce. I'd rate Piola's pizza crust a 10/10 - delicious. You can even see the pizza chefs hand rolling out the dough in the centrally located, open kitchen.

Each pizza is a managable 4-piece custom creation, and prices range from $10 to $16 depending on which you choose. You can even make personalized additions and substitutions; I had them put bell peppers on my "quattro funghi".

One high point are the $9 daily deals; your choice among 4 or 5 pizzas/pasta dishes, a soda, and (I believe) salad for a fixed price.

Piola has an acceptable wine list; I recommend asking your (authentically Italian!) server for a suggestion, as the wine we picked (the Piola house blend) was absolutely atrocious, especially at an exorbitant 25 bucks a bottle. Next time I'll try the "kiwi caipiroska", which looks awesome from its advertised picture.

Piola hosts events throughout the week; while it was pretty dead during the day (when we went) it becomes a cool local hang out at night, particularly on a Monday (when there's live music from 5-7 with drink specials and free finger food at the bar).

I'd recommend Piola for its relaxing, loungy atmosphere and authentically Italian staff, not to mention the delicious pizza.

Pretty averagely priced eats in NYC, and a nice experience overall.
The entrance to the restaurant.
pearcetoyou says:
Hmmmmm....I wonder if this is anywhere close to our hotel, the Flatotel.
Posted on: Mar 20, 2008