Pikes Peak

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Pikes Peak Colorado Springs Reviews

walterman9999 walterma…
Pikes Peak, Colorado Oct 04, 2014
We got up early on a weekend and wanted to see Pikes Peak. They have a tram outside of town that takes you to the top. I know that half the fun is driving round trip to the top and back on the curvy dirt road that they keep graded. We got supplies and gasoline in Colorado Springs and drove west on US 24 for about 30 miles and saw the sign on the left for Pikes Peak. We turned left and went a few miles to the National Forest fee booth. Good, there was only one car in front of us but it took the old woman 10 minutes to finish with them. We pulled up to the booth (fee $10 per person) and wanted to pay, get map, and leave up the mountain. Well, she chatted with us for 15 minutes before she let us go. (weak!)

The road was paved for less than a mile then turned to dirt. I love to drive the curvy dirt roads up and down. We enjoyed the curvy road as we got up higher and higher. Then we lost the woods for the tundra. We stopped to see a nice lake with ice covering the center of the lake. The ground got barren as we continued up.

Finally we reached the top and saw the tram and a gift shop. I used the rest room but was done with the gift shop. Still a little hard for us to breath in the thin air. They had a colorful sign marking the top. Pikes Peak is now a flat topped mountain. A long time ago they bulldozed off the real peak to make room for the tram, gift shop, and lots of people. (I happened to like Mt. Evans better.)

So down we drive the curvy dirt road passing some cars and trucks coming up. We got halfway down and the Forest Ranger was stopping all traffic down. He said that our brakes were getting to hot so we had to stop here for a half hour to cool off the breaks. I know my truck very well and know how to drive down hill in a lower gear with gental pressure on the brakes so this was BS. This BS stop just happened to be at a very expensive gift shop.

After my brakes "had cooled off enough" we started down again without buying anything from the gift shop. We drove slowly down the mountain without incident. When we drove past the fee pay booth with that one old lady (alone) was still taking her time processing the cars and trucks very slowly. We continued driving the paved road back to the highway and saw the single file of vehicals streached on for over a mile waiting to drive up. People, there is a second pay booth there, so get a second old lady.
Pikes Peak (PP) top, Walter