Pieskowa Skala

Ojcow, Poland

Pieskowa Skala Ojcow Reviews

a_mahmood81 a_mahmoo…
Pieskowa Skala Castle Oct 09, 2008
This castle is located in what is probably Poland's smallest national park (Ojcow National Park). It's about a half hour's drive from Krakow, depending on traffic. I went there with my girlfriend and her parents, who are from Czestochowa. I'd been in Krakow the day before, had I known that we were coming to Ojcow, I'd have stayed an extra night in Krakow instead of getting the bus back to Czestochowa!

It is a sort of branch of Krakow's Wawel Castle, and within the gates and walls, are housed a number of works of art ranging from different periods, Baroque, Medievel and Renaissance. Because of the quality of the shiny floors in the galleries, you're given huge socks to put over your shoes!

The castle is situated on top of a limestone hill, we parked the car at the bottom. Obviously, it didn't take me long to realise we'd have to climb up the many stairs leading to the castle, don't get me wrong, it wasn't a snow capped mountain in Zakopane but hey, after a boozy few days with the boys, it was tough!!!

Once through the main gate, you're surrounded by the beautiful architecture, in a court yard, that unfortunately at the time was being used as a car park by some members of staff! However, there is another courtyard through yet another gate, that is equally adorable. I have to say this was one of the best preserved and most gorgeous castles I've seen in Poland.

I thoroughly recommend a visit if you're staying in Krakow.

Compare Jerzmanowice Hotel Rates (5.9km away)

Pieskowa Skala Map