Pickpockets in Buenos aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Pickpockets in Buenos aires Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Thieves work in teams, work solo or sometimes use children Apr 08, 2012
La Boca and the Caminito are not the greatest areas in BA, but even at Puerto Madero, you can come across pick pocketers (as the thieves know this is a nice area with wealthy patrons walking about).

Some people seem to work in teams (one distracts while the other does the actual task), but I saw some children and younger people wakling around in clumps eyeing tourist. On our way down from Cerro San Cristóbal, we were followed by a young athletic young fella (who looked like he could run a lot faster than me if he got a hold of something he wanted). There were 3 instance of us stopping (for a view, so my friend could take a picture of the view and so she could pet a cat) and the last one, I encouraged her to pat the cat a little longer. Every time we stopped, he would tunr in the opposite direction and although it was obvious to me, he would pretned to be looking out at the view or at a the leaves on a plant (oh please), but he seemed to eventually give up.

So, as I've heard other people say, pretend you're a NYer and hold your bag close by as you walk around the city. You should have a bag that will cross your chest, don't just fling it on one shoulder and try to hold it. As you will see the locals doing, consider wearing your backpack on the front instead of the back.
JulieFrenchi JulieFre…
Pickpockets and Corrupts policemens BA Mar 30, 2011
misadventures in Argentina ! It's somethings usual but only people who made this experience know it . A lotta pickpockets walk around Buenos aires . Fews of them agress you , the others ask questions and rob you without you've seen anything .

The areas where happens this things are : el quartiero de retiro and La boca .

They're specialist on this field so be careful.

I had also to make a complaint in the police post . Gosh . Policemens takes time to get it and they do not speak english .
cachettebiker says:
going there soon - thanks for the advice!
Posted on: Sep 08, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Pickpockets in Buenos aires

Victims of the pickpocket's Mustard Trick.
It was a very cold, gray, rainy day in Buenos Aires as we set off for our first destination: Colón Theatre. According to the guidebook, it one of the world’s Top Five operas, and since it’s repo…Buenos Aires. It’s called the Mustard Trick, which is what the man squirted on us. Green mustard. We found many blogs by people who had had nearly…

Check Buenos Aires Hotel Deals