Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel

Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel Rates and Deals

Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel London Reviews

jostravel jostravel
It's a bed for the night... Jan 11, 2011
It really is a bed for the night. It's the first time I've stayed in a backpackers hostel before, and not sure whether I'd want to again. It really did put me off a bit.

Located just across the road and round the corner from Piccadilly Circus Tube Station, it is on a back street which has pubs and clubs. Whatever time you head there you won't feel unsafe - Piccadilly Circus is so busy with theatres and the like that it stays busy well into the night.

Whilst there is a lift, it doesn't stop on all floors. There are various types of room, as I'm sure there are in other backpacking places - but the beds are not very nice. Make sure you pick your bedding up from reception when you check-in! I was on a top bunk in a 4-bed mixed dorm. The bed was lumpy and the pillows looked to be years old.

There are shared toilets and showers, and lockers in the rooms (you need your own padlock). If you ask when you arrive, there is a room for you to keep bags during the day - but it costs...

Being a hostel there is no food - but you are only a few minutes from the bustling streets of Piccadilly Circus, so food is never far away.

If all you want is a bed for the night - I suppose it's ok.
faynei faynei
Quite horrible Apr 24, 2011
This place is one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. I've been to several hostels over the world, but this was not something to reccomend. The beds were in a bad state, I had a top bunk-bed, but to get up there, I had to balance my body-weight, making sure that the bed did not tip over.

The bathrooms were gruesome. They are shared, and for the girls, there were only one bathroom on the entire floor. This consisted of one functional toilet, and two showers, which looked repulsive. I stayed for two nights, using toilets at bars and pubs.

From 7 pm - 3 am, there were so much noise, and when I finally had gotten some sleep, my roommates desided to slam the doors open and turn on all the lights. The staff were not at all helful when I asked to switch rooms, they were mainly stating that it was their room too, and that they had to to what they wanted.

The only good thing about this hostel, was the location. Everything from Parks, shoppingstreets and so on were in a close walking-distance.

But please, do stay in another place if possible, cause this place is the worst there is.
Amelia25 Amelia25
Bad. Jun 26, 2011
If considering this place, take my advice and pass on it. Expensive and not safe. We were robbed ( room broken into and lockers smashed open), the staff were completely unhelpful and then one of the girls in our room discovered a half dressed guy (pants down) standing in the shower in the girls bathroom (the bathrooms were also foul, especially the showers which were tiny with shower curtains that left you completely exposed). Once again when this was reported to the staff they simply shrugged. Horrid horrid horrid.
shibidibu shibidibu
Piccadilly Backpackers! May 28, 2011
this place is really good for young people with low standard.

you have only girls/boys room, or mixed rooms, i stayed in a mixed room and it wasn't so bad.

you don't have a bathroom in your room, there's 2 bathrooms in every floor, as clean as it can get..

you meet a lot of people from all around the world and the workers are very nice and helpful.

the location is great, it's close to a lot of theaters, Piccadilly circus which means you're basically living in the middle of the city and that saves a lot of transportation money.

there is a really close donuts store to start you day with a smile:)
Julie92 Julie92
Cheap accommodation in a great location Feb 21, 2011
A fantastic location right next to Piccadilly Circus, however you should not expect cleanliness and luxury! If you consider location more important than comfort and you don't mind sharing room with others this is the perfect place to stay.
saMm04 saMm04
Centraly located accomodation Jun 04, 2010
Being a first timer in London i was a bit lost on where would be good to stay...Piccadilly Backpackers was a great central place to stay in London- i didnt want ne where too far out and this hostel was right behind piccadilly circus. and a very close walk (20 mins) to a lot of attractions including Buckingham Palace, Hyde/St James park, very close to Leicester square--which had a lot of places to eat, pubs and clubs. Tube station was very close also..a very busy area a lot of touristy stuff and promoters around but i liked it..

The staff were very friendly and always had something happening for guests--pub nights out ect which would make it easy for a lone traveller to make friends..the rooms are very basic but thats what u get with a hostel..is safe as you cannot get access into the doors without ur keycard and the doors are manned 24 hrs ..overall had a good stay
edmsside edmsside
Over priced, dirty. Wouldn't stay again. Oct 30, 2010
Not much to say about this place other then it was not enjoyable. Other than the location this was not worth my £21.

I stayed only one night. Very central, can't complain about the location.

Dirty gross bathrooms, stall doors wouldn't shut, hand dryer didn't work, shower curtains ripped, hair everywhere, cold water... Not enjoyable after a long day of travelling.

The room was very small, and the beds were bad. I thought the bunk bed was going to fall apart underneath me. It swayed back and forth all night. The mattresses looked nasty.

For £21 a night I expect a lot more. At least just get decent beds! And there was no free wifi either.

All and all if I go back to London I'll skip this one. The location factor isn't worth it, I'd rather stay somewhere else and use the tube or the bus!
m_mspr m_mspr
Jan 20, 2010
I stayed at the same hostel as I stayed at 5 years ago when I went to London and it has defidently improved. The location is the very best thing about this hostel. It is in Piccadilly circus and from here you can get anywhere. There are tons of busses and the underground almost right outside the door. The staff was nice, it was very nice and clean. You get sheets, so you don't have to worry about that and it is fairly cheap. I payed £12 for one night in a 10-bed dorm. The room was kind of small and it was not wasy to find a place to put my suitcase. They have lockers, so you can lock in valuables if you need to.

I don't know what regular standard is on hostels in London, but compared to many other hostels I have stayed at other places in the world, this is a very good one! :o)

They have a breakfast room where you can buy or make your own breakfast. They also have computers. The only thing that was not very good, was that the hot water did not work from 8-10am which is when a lot of people want to and are used to taking a shower. But other than that, very good!
waynehosek waynehos…
Great location... Mind the bed bugs! May 18, 2008
You can't beat the location... but you may want to hose down the bed before you pass out in it. Not sure why... but I'd stay here again.
koticphreak koticphr…
Affordable, Great Location, Decent Accomodation Jun 21, 2008
This hostel has to be in one of the best locations in all of London! It's exactly one block from the Piccadilly Circus Tube Station, has lots of shopping, food, etc. around and is a less than 10 minute walk from the national gallery, and about a 15-25 minute walk from big ben/parliament/london eye. Unfortunately, the hostel does not have a bar and the common room is small and goes unused for the most of the day and its much harder to meet people than at other hostels. So I probably would not recommend this hostel to lone travelers looking to meet people, you're better off at The Generator (check out my review of that hostel). The price of this hostel is competitive with others in much worse areas so you're definitely getting a lot of bang for your buck. The showers aren't very clean and the water pressure is pretty awful, especially if there's someone showering next to you. The staff is nice and helpful. They provide breakfast for a few pounds each morning but it's nothing special. I rather spend those few pounds at the coffee/donut shop down the street. They have internet in the hostel, but down the street is an convenience store/internet cafe called "Alison's" and they have internet for 1/2 the price as the hostel so I would recommend going there. You will need a personal pad lock for the lockers in the rooms and the lockers in the normal rooms will fit a normal sized backpack. I would recommend a "pod" room (my friend stayed in one of them) because the rooms are much nicer and the lockers are big enough to fit your entire luggage in. If you have a ISIC (International Student Identity Card), make sure you show it when you check in, you will receive a free upgrade to a better room! Also, I was in a regular 10 person room and there wasn't a single outlet! I had to find one in a hallway and sit there while my phone charged! They call outlets, "power points". If you have any questions about anything I forgot to mention, feel free to message me!
lovely_lori88 lovely_l…
May 14, 2007
This place is awesome for location and I would stay here again and again for the location but not for much else. This place is HUGE and there is always tons of school groups and young kids here. And its so big that they don't really have a common room or anywhere where people can hang out and meet.(which is very important to me when I'm choosing a hostel) There were just so many rooms (on one floor there was 40!) that you don't ever see anyone. Also we found the staff very rude. They would look at you like you were scum or something and they were speaking a different language and not really answering our questions that we had. My friend and I ended up having to stay here on 3 different occasions because of the location and our needs for travel. All three times we were there the ATM was down and the internet was only up for 1 of the stays. The outlets in our room was broken so we couldn't charge our cameras or our MP3 players. As well one of the bunk beds was broken and when I reached over to grab my bag the metal slit open my arm and it really hurt! I still have the scar and this was 5 months ago! The showers were really gross and there was no hot water between 8am-10am. So I didn't enjoy the hostel at all but for location it gets a 10/10. You can't beat it!
Me flipping the bird to this hoste…
Johnb42 says:
Ashley tisdale sorry typo
Posted on: Nov 22, 2007
Johnb42 says:
ashlet tisdale was there huh?/ She's huge star for Disney zchannel and she's also a great singer......she plays maddy on sweet life of zack and cody........and yes i'm a big kid at heart......and the bit about throwing money into the box and it going everywhere was funny i cna picture you now throwing it and going all over the place!!! LOL
Posted on: Nov 22, 2007
Danielle19 says:
I completely agree with you.. I hated my night at this hostel. Location is important but I would rather be a bit further out in a nicer hostel or cheap hotel.
Posted on: Oct 11, 2007
ilvagul ilvagul
Cheap, but not pleasant. Oct 20, 2007
THe hostel is right at the Piccadilly circus. An excellent location for a typical tourist, however the bed-sheets, rooms, bathrooms (shared) are quite dirty. If you know you're just gonna spend the night there and will not hang out at the hostel, then it's alright.

The good things - cheap (for London) and a good location.

The bsd things - dirty, the elevator is almost always broken.
missaeliya missaeli…
Dec 27, 2007
I stayed at the Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel for 5 days during Christmas week in a private twin room for £39.50 a night. The hotel is in a superb location - it is right behind the giant billboards at Piccadilly Circus. You only need to take one tube ride from Heathrow and the station is really near the hostel. From there, you can practically walk anywhere. Leicester square is a 2 minute walk to your left, Oxford street is 5 minutes to your right. Even the Parliament and London Eye are reachable by foot. The hotel is well secured. There is a staff/guard on the ground floor who checks for Room Cards before you can get to the elevator. The reception staff offer a lot of information on how to get around in London. The hostel also offers cheap breakfast (which I didn't try), there's an internet room, and a cozy common room. I wasn't very happy with my room, though, because it was small and dark. It had a bunk bed, sink, mirror and there was barely enough room to move around. Bath and toilets are common. The one thing I didn't like was that the hot water in the showers was very inconsistent, it was hot one day and freezing the next! I brought this up at the reception and the guy advised me to leave the water running for 20 minutes. That would have been an awful waste of water! Overall, I would still recommend this hostel for travellers on a budget. It is cheap and central and comfortable enough if you just need a place to sleep. But I probably will look for some other hostel next time. :)
melissak melissak
May 16, 2007
We had some interesting experiences with this place. Kind of a love/hate relationship. Online it looked perfect and it was our first hostel ever. The good thing about it is that the location is perfect, right in Piccadilly Circus, right across from the tube station that goes to Heathrow..thats pretty much the only good thing about it too.

First of all, the staff are soo rude, they were very unfriendly. Not a good way to start off. Its such a huge hostel that the atmosphere is really cold and unfriendly. The free breakfast was a piece of stale bread with jam. We stayed there 3 seperate times because of the location and the 2nd time the bread wasn't free anymore and the 3rd time we got a coupon for 2 free slices of bread. The internet was down pretty much the whole time we were there. The showers had cold water and terrible pressure. There was also big school groups when we were there, so a bunch of kids running around the halls. The ATM was also not working and the place was under construction.

But you seriously cannot beat the location, we only had to take the tube a couple times, to get the airport and Waterloo station.

I'd say stay here if location is the most important thing to you, but if cleanliness, fun, staff, breakfast, internet or basically anything else are important to you..don't stay here.
we hate this place..so we took thi…
kruscoe1 kruscoe1
Jan 28, 2007
I stayat Piccadilly Backpackers Hostelevery time i go to London. Its the most central hostel in the city (just 2 seconds from Piccadilly Circus) and you can walk basically anywhere in central London from this hostel. Its just £12 a night for a bed in a mixed dorm, including hot showers (don't have them between 8 and 10am cas that’s when the water runs out) and some tea and toast in the morning. The rooms are always clean, its quiet considering its location and the staff are always really nice and friendly, this hostel rocks, I have fun and meet loads of new people every time I stay!
cookislands says:
Hello im making a trip to England is this place alright to stay at if your on your own?
Posted on: Sep 18, 2007