Piazza del Duomo, Pisa

Piazza del Duomo, Pisa, Italy

Piazza del Duomo, Pisa Reviews

camwilde camwilde
Pisa: A wonder, especially for a High School American Dec 05, 2012
I visited Pisa with my family back in the summer of 1993. My father had previously lived in Northern Italy and wanted to show us around. Little did I know it, but Pisa quickly became one of my favorite places from our trip in Italy.

I've always liked architecture, and the Duomo (cathedral), the Campanile (the Leaning Tower), and the Baptistry didn't disappoint. The white marble was stunning and the buildings artistry fantastic. The Camposanto (cemetery) was also amazing.

When I was there, we weren't allowed to go up the tower due to safety concerns. I don't know if that is allowed today, but if it is, I definitely need to take a trip back.
Me "holding up" the Leaning Tower …
Caliber-A Caliber-A
The Leaning Tower, the Cathedral and the Baptistry Feb 01, 2010
Piazza del Duomo or the Pisa Cathedral Square consists of the cathedral itself, the magnificent leaning tower, and the baptistry.

Among the three structures, the leaning tower is the most eye-catching one. Somehow, the failure in the design and construction of this huge tower played a significant role because it is this phenomenon that attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world.

On the other hand, the cathedral has its own unique characteristics. The exterior itself is already a glory. The three shining bronze doors at the lower part just matched with the rows of arcades and perfectly shaped columns on top. The interior of the church resembles that of medieval and renaissance architecture

The baptistry is made of marble. The rounded arches below and the pointed arches above just compliment each other, giving a perfectly matched work of art.
piazza del duomo
the leaning tower
tha baptistry
the cathedral
Caliber-A says:
thanks for your smiles friends.@brian:try to go there,it's worth a visit.
Posted on: Nov 02, 2011
spocklogic says:
Interesting, not many who visit the leaning tower talk about the other structures here. Although I've traveled quite a lot all over Italy I've never been here.
Posted on: Nov 01, 2011
realrv6 realrv6
Unique... Apr 30, 2009
Wonderful. The Baptistery, the Leaning Tower, the Cathedral.

The "Square of Miracles" is one of the most beautiful squares I have ever seen.

Visiting the square is of course free, but to enter in the monuments you have to pay.

There are different types of tickets. It depends of what you want to visit. You can combine it however you want. The most famous is the Leaning Tower, but you must wait a lot before your turn comes.

I visited only the Baptistery and the Cathedral. Didn’t have time for the Leaning Tower, but it was still worth.

Too bad that there is not much else to visit in Pisa.
yadilitta yadilitta
Piazza del Duomo or Piazza dei Miracoli Jun 23, 2006
Piazza di los Milagros is a monumental complex with exceptional architecture. The most celebrated monuments in the square are the 4 notable: Baptistery, Cathedral, Tower Bell and famous Leaning Tower.

As background is the Campo Santo (cemetery).

Visiting the square is free, but if you want to go into / climb these famous monuments, you have to pay a fee. But you can find a combi ticket, which will give you access to different attractions.

1.Leaning tower: you can climb it.

2.Baptistery: entrance in small groups.

3.Duomo: the most admirable monument in the square. Take a look at the wonderful doors.

The square is walking distance from the station. I just walked the way there and was able to see lovely squares and get really nice views of the buildings and the Arno river.

Tip: Don't buy souvenirs here. They are more expensive. Go to Vía Sta María where you can find lot of shops.
doors from the Duomo
fabertel says:
must agree with davidx, unfortunatley ..
Posted on: Apr 09, 2011
davidx says:
I know it puts me into a minority but I hate this place! To me it is just a tourist trap.
Posted on: Mar 24, 2011
TravellinChic says:
Very helpful :)
Posted on: Sep 27, 2010
Africancrab Africanc…
A Cathedral, Baptistery, Cemetery and the Leaning Tower of Pisa Aug 13, 1998
We left Florence’s Duomo that afternoon to go tour the leaning tower of Pisa located within the Piazza del Duomo. Within the square was also the Baptistery, Cemetery and the Pisa Cathedral which we toured as well (look at my review on the Pisa Cathedral). Of all the structures around, the leaning tower is without a doubt the most prominent. It towers the sky like an alien item in a mortal world. The tower was never leaning when it was first constructed in the early century, but it began leaning due to a design flow that left the foundation vulnerable and it is sinking at a rate of one percent a year. It is a unique piece of architecture, and definitely an art attraction that draws millions each year to Italy.

The Cathedral and the Baptistery are quite unique in themselves; the Square of Miracles as the Piazza is commonly referred to is open to all. It is FREE so no reason why you can’t visit. The tower however is not free; tickets are sold at a reasonable price and are worth every penny. You can take a tour or come in your personal car. It is a little distance from the station, but we had our own car and were spending a night somewhere else.

The cathedral was a highlight for me because I love religious attractions; Basilicas, Cathedrals, Old Churches, Mosques, monasteries, Temples etc.

I do not like Cemeteries, but the one at the square is a very old one, more historic than anything else. It is known to have had great influence on art in Italy between the 11th and 14th centuries.

So take time to see all 4 monuments; The Cathedral, Baptistery, Cemetery, and the magnificent leaning Tower.

The Square was declared a UNESCO world Heritage Site in 1987
Africancrab says:
David, thanks for appreciating. You are right, I believe this part of Italy, well Italy as a whole relies heavily on tourism to boost their economy. I thought Rome was more of a tourist trap than any part of Italy. When I was in Pisa, I did not spend much, I normally do not shop or buy souvenirs when I travel. I can get everything I want back home here at a reasonable price. Prices have since changed and yes, they take advantage of the ignorant visitors.
Posted on: Jul 20, 2012
davidx says:
Great review but personally I found the whole of Pisa and this area in particular a giant tourist trap. Fancy restoring the tower to a leaning position!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2012

Related Travel Blogs About Piazza del Duomo, Pisa

The Leaning Bell Tower
Our trip to Pisa (30 Dec) was just a part of our 5-day tour to Italy. I was always fascinated looking at the pictures of the tower (used to be a church bell tower) and I am very much c…Piazza del Duomo (Pisa Cathedral Square) where the leaning tower belongs. Though it was a long travel from Rome…
UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Europe
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list UNESCO Site Pictures & short descriptions by country:  http://www.templetons.com/brad/unesco/index.html Special link to UNESCO sites on Google Earth:&nbs…Piazza del Duomo, Pisa (1987, 2007) §                        …
World Heritage sites I have visited
I have had the pleasure of visiting 130 World Heritage sites, and all have lived up to the UNESCO standard. These are my sites (with links to wikipedia). North America (8 sites) Canadian Rocky Mount…Piazza del Duomo, Pisa (Italy) Historic Centre of Naples (Italy) Villa Adriana (Italy) Villa d'Este (Italy) Eastern Europe…

Check Pisa Hotel Deals