Pian -Upe

Uganda

Pian -Upe Reviews

vijilesh vijilesh
Unbelievable but Adventurous - Pian Upe! Jan 05, 2013
Visiting many places of Uganda gives us new experiences every time, also it gives us an opportunity to learn new things and I agree with the statement-"A traveler is the best learner". Yes, this Christmas 2012 we made a visit to Pian Upe, now under the management of Mount Elgon conservation area, is the second largest protected area in Uganda after Murchison falls reserve, which is situated in Mbale-Moroto road roughly 90kms from Mbale. We already made bookings with UWA for two bandas which can accommodate six people.

The early morning drive from Kampala ends at around one in the afternoon. Really a special thanks to UWA employees especially Mrs. Stella, the lunch they served was that much delicious. We came to know from Mrs. Stella that Leopards, topis, deer’s, jackals and rock pythons were some of the common animals we could able to see around here, also we could have a cultural visit to the nearest village of karamojas. The long lasted two hours heavy rain made the visit most adventurous. We are happy to hear from the guide that the vehicle we used is good enough to have game drive. We were accompanied by two guides Mr. Peter and Mr. David and I wondered why two? Even in Murchison we were guided by one and the answer was even one get a problem the other can help us. So for me I was so excited and thrilled to see jackals, leopards and so...

This game drive was totally different for me as there were no roads to drive inside the forest. We have to take our own path, but this is so adventurous than driving through a normal road. Grasses were taller than our vehicle; we laid our own way according to the instruction from the guides. Almost travelling two kilometers, we were able to see one or two deer’s. We spent almost two hours but in vain! it was unbelievable that we couldn't able to see any animals except deer’s, but it was an adventurous trip for us as I mentioned the drive through the woods was totally a new experience for us. Some questions in my mind. Why did they lie to us? Really is it a reserve forest? There were no leopards, no pythons, and no jackals. In fact later we came to know that these animals were scared of hunting and they were deep inside the forest and Pian Upe is still under development. But I am sure that with in another one or two year Uganda will get yet another beautiful and adventurous reserve forest- Pian Upe!
Camp head quarters