Phoenix Zoo

www.phxzoo.com - (602) 273-1341

Phoenix Zoo Reviews

WalterC WalterC
Nice and scenic zoo in the city Sep 08, 2016
Located inside Pagago Park, the Phoenix Zoo is one of the few attractions within the park. This review will be for the zoo only. It is accessible by both bus and car, and parking is free at the zoo. Look ahead for directions to the zoo.

This zoo has a very nice collection of animals, in an area that is scenic enough to believe that you are not inside a city. And it is divided really nicely, in relation to where the animals originally came from.

Starting with Tropic Trail, with animals from tropical regions. The main highlight is the Monkey Village. This is an enclosed area, similar to an aviary, but for the common squirrel monkey that runs around, and can get close to people. You will have to leave your things between the gates, before entering the monkey area. Another is the island with the gibbons. And a whole lot more to see.

There is Africa Trail, with mainly African animals. The best part is the open savannah area on a hill, shared by multiple animals. And the Desert Lives, a trail that detours from Africa Trail, that takes you towards sandstone mountains. Very scenic, as it looks like a wide open area for the Arabian oryx and desert bighorn sheep.

There is also a more local focus, with Arizona Trail, with animals from the state. Other areas include Children’s Trail and Harmony Farm, located along Tropic Trail.

There is some setbacks, with the layout of the Tropic Trail area. The issue being that there can be a lot of backtracking, if trying to cover the whole area. And gets confusing at times, as it can look like a maze at times. And admission can be really pricey.

Also, there is no place to sit inside, to cool off and retreat from the sun. I’m guessing to be more environmentally friendly, which I can respect.

The Phoenix Zoo is really nice to visit that is definitely worth visiting, with its nice collection of animals. And for the most part, organized really well. This zoo is definitely worth a look if already in Phoenix, and need something to do in the Valley.

I would give this zoo, 4 stars out of 5.
zoo entrance
little lake near entrance
toco toucan
jaguar
WalterC says:
You're welcome, Cho! And glad that you like it. Just typing this and uploading it here, allows me to re-live it, and even itching to visit another one.
Posted on: Nov 22, 2016
Cho says:
As you know, I like to visit zoos whenever possible, so enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing, Walter.
Posted on: Nov 21, 2016
jamesdean252 jamesdea…
The zoo in the devils backyard! Apr 01, 2011
The Phoenix Zoo is in the devils backyard located in Papago Park area of Phoenix. The zoo is home to over 1300 animals that can handle the heat. We stopped in on our last day, trying to kill some time before our red eye flight home. It was the hottest day of my trip to Arizona with a high of 97 degrees, some of the animals were hiding inside and I don’t blame them one bit. We should have done the same thing but couldn’t find any good museums to go too, the zoo was a great choice. It was a fun filled couple hours that we spent watching the animals play. The zoo breaks down into 4 different sections for Africa, Arizona, tropical, and the children’s petting zoo, with a few other attractions. It cost $18 a person to get into the largest non-profit zoo in North America. The zoo is always a great place to spend the day. If you are in the area I recommend checking it out, just hope you go on a cooler day.
ceh23 ceh23
Pretty Good Zoo Dec 22, 2009
Having gone to many zoos, I'd have to say the Phoenix zoo is pretty entertaining. It's fun to walk through the different exibits and feel like you're where the animals should be.

Probably the coolest part of the zoo would have to be the Monkey Village. At the monkey village you get to walk into a caged in area where spider monkeys are all around. They get pretty close. Also, it looks like they've got a new exibit where you can feed giraffes. Seems cool, too bad I missed it!
Monkey Village
By the entrance
JamaicaMeNutts JamaicaM…
May 08, 2007
This zoo was pretty fun. I enjoyed it a lot. I absolutely love going to Zoos. As far as zoos go it was pretty average, but not terrible.

We got in for 50% off because my parents are members of the local zoo in Battle Creek, MI. It was fairly cheap to go. We went with a group of 4.

The food, as at all zoos, was very expensive. We didn't end up eatting there because it didnt take us all day.

Since we were there Between Christmas and New Years it was fairly chilly. It wasnt very busy at all. We wanted to get hot chocolate but it was too expensive.

We got to see all the typical animals that you see at zoos, except they had a lot more snakes. A lot of rattle snakes.

We also got to see the mountains. Which is quite different from our zoo at home. They were making a new viewing platform so you could feed the giraffes, but it was just beginning when we were there.

The rhinos were awesome, the tigers were awesome. The lion seemed sick. They had cyotes there too which we dont see often at the zoo.

Overall, a great trip. Id probably go back if I was in the area.

If you want to see pictures email me at jamaicamenutts@aol.com

Related Travel Blogs About Phoenix Zoo

5k's
Well, my mission in Phoenix was to try to get my running standards back to what they were when I was in Florida. It didn't really happen. I did, however, manage to get some people from work to join i…Phoenix Zoo. I did this race by myself, so I only have pictures of the T-shirts. It was more…
Dublin Zoo
I stayed in Dublin with Jill on Saturday night as we arrived back very late from Girona, and on the Sunday we decided to head to Dublin Zoo in Phoenix Park! It was a great day, and if you're in Dubli…Zoo in Phoenix Park! It was a great day, and if you're in Dublin it's worth taking…
Finally going back....
My last visit to Ireland was in 2003, so it was about time I headed back to visit that lovely green isle! For me it felt like going home, since Ireland is a special place for me. But it was an early …Zoo in Phoenix Park, since according to weather forecasts saturday would be a very rainy day. From O'Connell…

Check Phoenix Hotel Deals