Pho Grand

3195 South Grand Ave., Saint Louis, MO, USA

Pho Grand Saint Louis Reviews

Pho Yum Dec 14, 2011
I wanted Pho and I got Pho at one of the most popular Pho Restaurants. Pho Grand is hands-down the best Vietnamese restaurant in St. Louis, so says my Vietnamese friend. Of course, that's something that has been said over and over again about this place once I read the reviews. After trying the pho for myself, yes I do believe its true ;)

At its most essential, Pho Grand offers a large menu of uniformly excellent food at prices that are incredibly reasonable. It's more laid-back, and I wish they had more places to sit, but the incredible food and fantastic value make this a 4/5 in my book. Highly recommended if your visiting.
sukiyakihotsake sukiyaki…
Jul 15, 2007
The front of Pho Grand is an interesting tiered setup, with the sidewalk as the 1st tier, then a raised patio as the 2nd tier with seating during the warmer months, and the actual entrance to the resturant on the 3rd tier. After going through the slightly cramped entrance doors you first encounter the bar, with a long, stringed musical instrument in a glass case behind it. On further inspection of the surroundings you'll find several different Vietnamese stringed instruments in cases among the hazelnut hued walls. A fantastic effect dipicted on a couple walls is a "shadow" of a buddha in dark brown paint giving the impression that it was painted many years ago and has nearly completly faded.

The place is usually packed; always a good sign when going somewhere new. We eventually were seated at a round table in the front corner and ordered our food. One of our appetizers was shrimp wrapped in wonton wrappers and deep-fried alongside fresh lettuce greens and basil. Crunching down on the fragile wonton wrapper into the soft shrimp gave a fun texture. The shrimp was not overcooked, and chomping down on it with a few dark green basil leaves created a refreshing starter with a fantastic fragrence. I followed this with Tofu with Ginger and Onions (Tofu Gung Va Hahn). The tofu was stir fried which gave the whole dish a lighter flavor, and it was firm and flavorful. It was strewn with thinly shreaded ginger that gave a kick to the dish. I also tasted the deep-fried tofu cubes with peanut sauce. The tofu itself was a bit bland, but when dipped in the sauce it provided a nice starter to get my appitite going. The "peanut" sauce was more like hoisin sauce with crushed peanuts on top, so while not technically what I would call a peanut sauce it was still tasty.

For the main course I HAD to go with one of my favorite dishes; the illustrius Curried Tofu (Tofu Dac Biet). I decided that this dish is the making or breaking point of these types of restaurants in my eyes (or should I say my stomach). Everything would ride on how good or bad this dish would be. If it was bad, I would curse the gods of curry and turn my back forever on this establishment (even though it was well decorated!). The waiter presented the plate in front of me and the sight was beautiful. A mound of steaming white rice alongside tofu and vegetables swimming in a thick golden curry sauce with fresh lettuce, cucumber, and tomato to garnish. I filled my spoon with a mix of curry and rice and put it into my mouth... my senses were nearly overloaded with the sensation; the curry flavor was the best I've ever had. The flavor was a homogenous mixture; one spice didn't overpower the others and steal the show. They all just agreed that to create the grandest flavor they would need to combine their spicy powers to the best of their abilitys and be humble. And, it was just caliente enough for me not to give me heartburn, though you can ask them to make it as hot as you'd like. The thickness of the sauce coated my tastebuds like a warm blanket wrapping me up on a cold night.

Two of my friends ordered Thai Coffee; one hot (cafe sua nong) and one cold (cafe sua da). The waiter arrived with a coffee mug (for the hot) and a highball (for the cold), each with a couple tablespoons of sweet and condensed milk at the bottom. On top of each vessel was a single service drip brewer/filter filled with ground coffee and hot water. In the highball you could watch the coffee rain from the bottom of the saucer down to the sweet and condensed milk. After a few moments of anticipation another gentlemen came to the table and started to prepare the coffee in front of us! For the hot coffee he stirred the mug slowly to mix the concoction, slowly adding more hot water from a steel decanter. For the cold coffee he likewise stirred the mixture but then began stuffing the highball with ice from a bucket. As he stirred, the ice melted until it was chilled to his satisfaction and filled to the brim with ice cubes. I jumped at the chance to try both versions. They each were similar to real hot chocolate, with coffee replacing the chocolate, of course. The milk thickened the mixture and sweetened it to make it a great desert in itself. At $3.75 each, I ordered a hot one immediatly after trying them both out. It was the perfect ending to a phenominal meal.

I give Pho Grand a grand 5 stars. The combination of atmosphere, service, food, exoticness, and prices were the determining factors, and Pho Grand had it all. One day I hope to travel to Thailand and Vietnam and taste the dishes right from the mother country.

Check Saint Louis Hotel Deals