Pho Cali

1400 Camino de la Reina #105, San Diego, CA, USA

Pho Cali San Diego Reviews

DocTaotsu DocTaotsu
Apr 26, 2006
I love pho. It truly is one of my favorite foodstuffs of all time. In fact I've become a bit of a pho fanatic because you know... pho king good (saw that on a t-shirt). I've eaten enough bowls of pho that I feel I can properly judge pho. The broth must be rich and aromatic, the aroma alone should nourish your soul. The noodlesmuch and properly cooked, not a big clump at the bottom of the bowl. The meat should be thin and still red, barely cooking around the edges. The condiments should be fresh and plentiful,with Vietnamese basil and crisp bean sprouts. If it's really hardcore it should be served with white pepper instead of the usual black. The XL bowl, and there should be an XL special bowl, should be no smaller than my head. I should not only finish the whole bowl but fish around in the broth with my spoon picking up stray sprouts. It should be so good I eat with both hands and don't speak till it's done.

Pho Cali doesn't serve this bowl of pho. Everything else looks fine but the pho? The pho was lacking, the broth was weak and watery. The noodles clumped... and for some reason very peppery... black peppery. The condiments came on a very small plate and overall... it just didn't move me.

Pho is a special thing for me, and Pho Cali just doesn't take me there.
cneoridium says:
Have you found a better pho in SD yet?
Posted on: Jan 06, 2007
kevinw83 says:
I'm a pho fanatic too... and I'm gonna stay clear of this place after your review. Thanks!
Posted on: May 16, 2006