Pho 83

1141 Canterbury Rd S, Shakopee, MN, USA
www.happygarden.us - (952) 233-1801
Pho 83 - Me looking at a beef tendon in my Pho Dac Biet
Pho 83 - Kember and I with our coconut milk (yes that is a real coconut---I enjoyed scraping the meat out when I was done)
Pho 83 - pho dac biet (rice noodle and beef soup)
Pho 83 - rice noodle shrimp spring rolls
Pho 83 - Bon with his Pho Dac Biet
Pho 83 - Bun Nem Nuong, Cha Gio (Vermicelli with grilled pork, meatball and vietnamese egg roll)

Pho 83 Shakopee Reviews

pinchora pinchora
2 styles of Asian Cuisine Jul 10, 2008
Pho 83 has been open since June of 2007 and is named after the Vietnamese favorite dish... which is a Vietnamese rice noodle soup with either beef or chicken! I came to this location with a coworker, Bon, who's parents own the restaurant; along with other locations around Minneapolis. The Shakopee area is known for having a large Vietnamese population and this restaurant delivers the experience in there. (I have been fortunate enough to go to some other Vietnamese friends house for dinner and holidays and have had the food their families have made). In fact when driving to the restaurant from Burnsville (it was a 20 minute drive with traffic) we passed 3 Asian grocery stores.

When you walk in you will see a small dinning area infront and to the left of you. The staff is all Vietnamese and one will ask how many and seat you like an average restaurant. At the table is a rack that has chop sticks, forks (for those who can't use chop sticks), asian spoons and a lot of condiments. Their Pho soups come non spicy so you can add your own spices with one of the vietnamese sauces on the table.

Bon went back as I was looking at the menu and came out with the pho dac biet... I asked him what was in it... as I was still deciding (I was craving chinese food but since this place is know for their Vietnamese I figured when in rome; right?) He told me noodles, beef slices, sausages, bean sprouts (which you add in yourself), spicy peppers (you also add in yourself), lime wedges (you also add in yourself) and beef tendon and stomach lining. I was very hesitant about it because of the tendons and stomach lining... it still gives me the shivers. As I was talking to him my phone rang and it was my friend Christina... I asked her about the dish and she seemed shocked that I never had stomach lining... her mom's 100% mexican and there's a dish that she has all the time with it in there! She said it's really good. So I buckled down and ordered it along with the rice paper egg rolls.

Bon went and got me the food and told me how to prepare the extras at the table... so I ate it the traditional way with the chop sticks, bean sprouts, hot peppers, stomach lining and beef tendons. Which weren't half bad.... when mixed with the rice noodles or beef shavings you would never know you are eating it (Bon explained it to be like eating squid when talking about the tendons) which it was and it looked like squid too. The wierd bite was when I only had those 2 together in one bite... the texture was a bit strange!

*** Update written 7-20-2008--- I just came back tonight with a larger group of people. Found out some really good stuff that people might like.

1.) I got a coconut that they shave the hairy stuff off and cut the top off...then you can pick out the meat and eat it!

2.) They don't bread and deep fry their chinese--a guy got General Tso's and it wasn't breaded... it was delicious

3.) they serve everything Asian style so the first one done comes out first...not the american way where everything comes out at once!

4.) the Pot Stickers were the best ones I've ever had in my life...period! They were fill popping out with pork and the shell was delicious!

If you don't like Vietnamese food you can go to the Happy Garden on 2443 HWY 7 & 41 Crossing in Excelsior for an all you can eat chinese lunch buffet $6.75 (Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM)
pho dac biet (rice noodle and beef…
rice noodle shrimp spring rolls
Bon with his Pho Dac Biet
Me looking at a beef tendon in my …
mellemel8 says: