Phil's Orginal BBQ

Phil's Orginal BBQ Toronto Reviews

itravel1 itravel1
Smoked Chicken and Ribs May 07, 2013
~April 2013

I was working in the west end of the city a few Saturdays back and decided to take the guys out for dinner after work. Having never sat in a restaurant for smoked meat I decided on Phil's which is in the upper crust of good smokehouses for Toronto.

We got there around 5.30 and finding parking on the street was proving to be a little difficult for two work trucks. A spot opened and a thought maybe take-out would be best so ordered three dinners to-go. 5 minutes later another spot opened up so we three took a window seat(need to watch those tools don't grow legs and jump out of the trucks!). There might be seating for around 30 but with only two other couples there getting a table was easy. The restaurant is small but clean with a 'newer finish'.

For smoked meat I thought the food could have been a little quicker but it was still not a long wait, gave me time to quench my thirst with a beer, which was NICELY chilled. We had two BBQ Combos(Some ribs, some chicken, some brisket with two small sides each potato, coleslaw, fries, BBQ beans) and a Pulled Pork Sandwich with fries and slaw.

The sandwich I'm told was good, nothing crazy but good. My ribs were meaty and tasty, as I expected. The brisket was juicy and tender, great first for brisket, I'll treat myself at least once a year now. My chicken was smokey but a bit on the dry side but every time I've had smoked chicken it has been the same so no disappoint there. The side salads were a little different but very good. Overall a pretty good meal with attentive service.

Although pretty good I don't think I'll be making the 45 minute drive to try and find parking but if I lived nearby I might visit every once and awhile. Phil's does seem popular as there were people filling the seats for the hour plus we were there. For people that have been to the 'Ribfests' the BBQ could be said as comparable.

Combo 26.00

Pulled Pork 8.00

Dom Beer 5.00
Internet photo
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :)
Posted on: May 16, 2013
sylviandavid says:
sounds like a good place... thanks for this review
Posted on: May 07, 2013