Phil's Fish Market & Eatery

7600 Sandholdt Road, Moss Landing, CA, USA
Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - Looking over the ordering line into the restaurant
Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - A couple of fresh fish on ice!
Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - A bowl of Cioppino, don't be misled by the photo, this is a HUGE bowl!
Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - Appetizer of calamari, fried, way too many for a party of 4 people.
Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - My very delicious Salmon Marsala. The salmon was buttery and real tender.
Phil's Fish Market & Eatery - The casual serving wares and our number for the waitresses to find us.

Phil's Fish Market & Eatery Moss Landing Reviews

portia portia
Feb 19, 2008
Phil's Fish Market is a local institution in the Monterey bay area of Moss Landing, although it had been featured on TV: the Food Network. It's really a family and casual restaurant, with fresh seafood from local catches and also flown in from elsewhere, but is also a fish market, as its name implies.

We went on a Saturday evening, and it was packed, the ordering line was probably at least 20 deep, but did move pretty fast. As you enter the restaurant, you see fresh fish, shellfish and others on ice, a row of refrigerators line one wall, where you can fetch your own beer, drinks, and wine too. You pick up a menu and specials and look through them while you move ahead in line. At the counter, you order and pay, then go and find yourself a table, silverware and paper napkins and an assigned number in hand. There are lots of tables indoors and out, with heaters overhead for the cold evenings. After a few minutes, waitresses deliver your dishes and you can dig in.

They are famous for the Cioppino (recipe available on their web site). The portions of everything is Large! So be prepared to take some leftovers home. Highly recommended for anyone coming to the Monterey Bay area who loves seafood.

They even have live music on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, but we have never been there on those nights to see/hear what they did.
A bowl of Cioppino, don't be misle…
Appetizer of calamari, fried, way …
My very delicious Salmon Marsala. …
The casual serving wares and our n…
reikkowen says:
i like the idea.
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
Devika1985 says:
Great review i really like seafood and this just sounds delicious :)
Posted on: Feb 21, 2008
Kana says:
I've got to try this place next time I am there! :)
Posted on: Feb 21, 2008
Eric Eric
Feb 20, 2008
Fun, family-friendly seafood place with a lot of character. Don't be fooled by the tacky decor or weathered exterior, however -- the food is excellent and the fish is fresh! Like Portia mentioned, you line up and order at the counter, get a sign with a number on it (the signs look like they were stolen from Carl's Jr.), and then try to grab a table.

We went there on a Saturday night and it was absolutely packed. The wait in line was at least 15 minutes, and every table was filled. I think we were lucky to find a table just as a family was clearing out. I don't know what can be done to avoid the crowds, and am not sure how typically packed it gets, but just a warning if you are the impatient type ;)

As for the food, I had an ahi tuna special which was quite delicious. The seasoning was fairly simple and the flavor of the fresh fish stood for itself. Again, the portions are huge -- you could reasonably split one dish among two people if you both have medium-light sized appetites!

Definitely check this place out! One of the more interesting and fun restaurants I have ever visited.
bugjuice says:
Now I have to go back to Monterey just to try the cioppino, hey am excuse to travel I say. thanks for the review
Posted on: Mar 31, 2008