Philadelphia International Airport

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Philadelphia International Airport Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
Transit Enroute to Amsterdam Jul 11, 2012
I transited through Philadelphia International Airport for the first time in 2008 en route to Amsterdam for the NYE Travbuddy meet-up. I was impressed with the airport but not the service provided by US Airways. I dared not complain besides the flight was cheap and it was incredibly cold - I was told being cold affects our emotions limiting the ability to be friendly ha-ha! Do not quote me on that I over heard a professor tell his students so. Nevertheless a little pleasantry never hurt, I kept my remarks to myself and ordered a latte from Starbucks with just enough time to finish my cup before the boarding call was made.

Philadelphia is the birth place of the United States itself, it's popularity precedes it. Even though I have never really traveled to Philadelphia, I have read many articles and history books on Philadelphia, watched many movies made in Philadelphia, let alone the music that so popularly tells of a past of glory.

As I walked through the terminal of the Philadelphia airport from one concourse to the other, I noticed that a celebration of the music legends of Philadelphia was ongoing on the terminal wall towards the international flight terminal. I could not help myself so I took a couple of pictures. Philadelphia Airport (PHL) serves one of America's largest metropolitan areas with millions of international and domestic flights every year.

It is one of the busiest in the US. Located about 11 kilometers from downtown Philadelphia, it has 7 big terminals with the International terminal looking newly refurbished. I notice however with disappointment that the lavatories are not kept very clean: the passengers do not help by dropping wet paper towels on the floor or toilet paper on the floor . This is something that the airport management could look into, it reminded me of my friend Carol who returning from her Africa travel had complained last year of how filthy the airport was. It is funny because prior to my travel, I remember reading an article in which J.D. Power and Associates ranked Philadelphia International Airport as the top large airport in the nation in customer satisfaction. My experience says otherwise and I bet I'm not the only one. After years of travel I have been trough some bad airports including Jomo Kenyatta in Nairobi.

Walking through the terminal to the international section gave an impression all was well, but behind doors hmmm! Nonetheless my flight would leave to Amsterdam on time.

Check out my Netherlands blog for more information on my exciting journey Amsterdam.

Check Philadelphia Hotel Deals