817 Saint Louis Street, New Orleans, LA, USA

Petunia's New Orleans Reviews

AtlantaScottyV AtlantaS…
Feb 18, 2007
This small, quaint restaurant just off Bourbon Street on Saint Louis in The French Quarter of New Orleans offers some of the best dinner and dessert crepes you could possibly imagine.

Housed in a 3 story Creole Townhouse built in the 1830's, this restaurant became a favorite of mine during a visit back in 2004. I was afraid during this trip that they would not have reopened after Hurricane Katrina. Much to my delight, the location sustained very little damage and had retained it's charm.

Be sure to come hungry! Appetizers range from salads to local fare of chilled Gulf shrimp (not farm raised - a HUGE difference in taste!), seafood gumbo that is filled with vegetables, scallops and shrimp. The dinner plate sized crepes (no joke) are filled with crab, shrimp and lobster, chicken and asparagus, or several other choices - each crepe named after a Patron Saint. The Shrimp Platter was overflowing with huge Gulf shrimp that were battered and fried perfectly and served with a side of french fries. Broiled redfish with lump crabmeat was spicy in typical cajun style but absolutely delicious.

Dessert crepes are humongous. In our race against time to get back to the Mardi Gras parade, we didn't get to have our favorite - bananas foster. A delicious crepe filled with a large slab of frozen ice cream and topped with bananas, brown sugar, rum and vanilla and served flaming. It is The French Quarter, after all, so flaming is appropriate! :-)

Since the location is small, using only the double parlor on the 1st floor, the service is very attentive but unobtrusive. I forget his name, but we were very excited to see that we had the same server as three years ago on our previous visit. The staff makes sure that your every need is met and your dinner is to your liking. I recommend reading the interesting history of the location found on their website.

Since there is limited seating and they have such great food, I HIGHLY recommend calling ahead for reservations!

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals