Petra or Al Batra

Jordan

Petra or Al Batra Reviews

duma duma
Petra, the new seventh world wonder Oct 06, 2016
Chartering the Jett bus (jett.com.jo) at 6:30am for less than JD10 one way, heading to the new seventh world wonder. Please note as prices as well as timetables are subject to change, be on the save side and check out the website as mentioned above. I found the airconditioned buses punctual, clean, and comfortable. A on board service is available during longer distances. Two stops on our way to the stone city. One cigarette stop, on restaurant stop. No imposant landscape all way longŲŒ mainly pale desert.

As soon we have reached our goal, I was thrilled by a mountain chain, a great introduction. Wadi Mousa, the host of Petra or its capital, a very small town with a range of hotels of all categories. The entrance fee for foreigners is JD50 (equivalent to $70 (stand 2015). It is recommendable to check one of numerous official websites regarding Petra and entry fees. Additional JD5 for each further day. I do not visit the rose city during summer since one really feels broasted. It's a desert area. I don't visit it during winter either due to flooding alarm. My favourite time to explore Jordan is from March to June, September to December. Ok, I pay a locals fee and my journey begins.

I kindly ignore the possibity exploring Petra on horse or donkey back. The city is so huge, beyond my imagination. Every piece I come across is admirable, photo shoot worthy. I arrive the imposant shiq, huge partly narrow pink colored stone walls. Suddenly I recognice the world famous treasury. Who thinks now the treasury is the end of the road, is quite mistaken. Yes, it maybe according to documentaries and postcards the most famous, still by far not end of the city. I continue my trip admiring huge stone houses even closer to buildings. A good amount of stairs upwards, I find myself in front of the courthouse. The view is amazing. The opposite way leads back to the main road. I come across a sand road decorated with pillars. Soon I arrive a modern restaurant under trees.

Still not the end of the city. It is said 1000 stairs upwards lead to heaven. Well, the stairs were not really a highway, still in good condition to be used. Alternatively one is being offered a donkey taxi service. On my way upwards, I keep looking back, as with distance the hight increases offering great views. I pass many Bedouin tents, offering water and souvenirs. I have not counted the stairs, but honestly it felt like a thousand :)) Finally I reach my goal, and all I see is a sky in range. A bit similar to the treasury, there is the monastery. Refreshments along a comfortable sitting area rounded a great days trip up.

During my photography invitation at the RJS, I had not only the honour to attend both local and middle eastern Arab horse championships, I was also shown the saddle Indiana Jones had been using upon request in "Indiana Jones and the last crusade".

During the Middle East Arab Horse Championships held in Jordan, I was asked to snap a winners shot with HRH Princess Alia :)
duma says:
Iam glad you like it. If you are happy, I am happy too :)
simsing says:
:) Thank you for taking the suggestion!
Looks better, doesn't it?
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature!
A suggestion: When writing long reviews, please use several paragraphs otherwise readers feel dizzy.
Petra or Al Batra Map