Petaloudes

Rhodes, Greece

Petaloudes Rhodes Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Vally's without butterflies Jun 19, 2015
The vally of the butterflies is located on the west side of the Island.

The vally is the home of the Quadripunctaria Poda butterfly. During the month's june, july and august they stay and mate in the vally. The tree's in the vally shed a vanila like sent which atracts them.

The vally itself is really pretty and quit calm. That is untill the busses with tourists arrive. We drove our rental to the vally and were quit on time. But by the time we left it was full of tourists. I would not recommend visiting the vally after 10.30 am.

We were told that we would see hundreds (if not thousands) of butterflies. We didn't.

I would say we have seen a handfull. I was a bit dissapointed by that. But later, after readig more into the vally and it's butterflies. I discoverd that visiting with so many people disturbes the natural coditions of the butterflies. Visitors are not allowed to make noise (like clappig, whistling etc.). The butterflies don't eat during the mating and egg lying period the survive of the energy they storaged while being caterpillars. The noise of the visitors makes them fly frequently which cost them to burn precious energy.

Though I was a bit dissapointed with the amount of butterflies the vally itself is really pretty. Stairs, waterfalls, tree's, pretty flowers it's worth a visit. Though I would not visit again during high season.

The vally is open from 8.00am till 19.00pm. Entrance will cost you €5.-