Petaling Street

Petaling Street - Jalan Petaling

Petaling Street Kuala Lumpur Reviews

Airportman Airportm…
Shopping street filled with tourists Jun 01, 2011
Jalan Petaling as it is known, is the shopping street in Chinatown. My first impression was when I read about in the tourguide, that it was the most famous and coziest market of Kuala Lumpur.

My second impression was when I arrived there and that it was very touristy and that it's just a market (my personal view) for buying (counterfeit) goods & souvenirs at various stands and shops.

Karena and I walked through it, getting plenty of calls to buy watches, bags and receive a massage. When we stopped and looked at something, a salesperson would come and inform of us about the item.

Personally I don't like this, as I prefer to look at something without someone "breathing down my neck" right away. I understand that it's part of the street.

The items on sale are mainly clothing, watches, (hand)bags and souvenirs of Kuala Lumpur & Malaysia. From what I read in the travel guide, was that in the late afternoon/early evening, most stands are replaced by foodstands and traffic is excluded from entering the area.

We never visited the place in the evening, so I can not tell you what the place would be like. I do want to experience the market at night, but as for the day market... I don't think I would visit the place again.
Street
Barrel used for chestnut roasting
Jalan Petaling
Lamp post
chantelleindia chantell…
Grab your fork! Coz life is one long buffet table. Jun 29, 2010
Walking along the streets of Malaysia and dog hungry? Tickle your taste buds with some delicious Malaysian food on the streets Sink your teeth into those crunchy potatoes or take a sip of the most refreshing drink you’ve ever tasted! Salivating? Read on,

You’ll find a gourmet of foods on the streets of Malaysia. Walk into the lanes of The Pasar Malam better known as the Night Market. You’ll find young Malaysian’s with boiling hot pots and pans, kneading the dough, stripping the beef jerky, marinating the chicken, all geared to give you a taste of Malaysia.

There are a range of food types from which you can choose your pick. Some of the most recommended varieties are;

• Air Mata Kucing: Rating 4/5. Gulp down this traditional Malaysian drink. Made from dried longan fruit and rock sugar, this sweet and aromatic drink will refresh you like never before. So now you’re all up and about!

• Malaysian Beef Jerky/Pork Jerky: Rating 5/5. One of the most famous national foods, this dish is a must try. Sink your teeth into smoking hot deeply marinated beef and well barbecued pork. So soft and chewy, you’ll be left asking for more.

• Chinese Burger Stand: Rating 4/5. Spice up your dull boring sandwich with some beef jerk with a dollup of pork floss. Sounds amazing? Sure it tastes the same!

• Soya Bean Stand: Rating 3/5. Had your fill, now want something to drink? Have this traditional Chinese drink made of soya beans.

• Fruit Rojak: Rating 3/5. Have your salad the way you like it. A popular Malaysian snack or salad, it’s a cup of mixed fresh food or vegetables topped with Rojak Sauce and peanuts.

• Roasted Chest nuts: The aroma in the air is amazing! Looks like something is being roasted or fried! Go buy your packet of roasted chestnuts.

• Malaysian Baked goods: You must definitely try the Pandan here. Coming from tropical trees, it’s floral and aromatic flavour is heavenly.

• Apam Balik: Rating 4/5. Feel starved for the day? Dive into the soft and chewy Apam rolls. The delicious white Apam Balik will satiate your hunger pangs.

Now where to go to taste these delights?

• Go to Jalan Petang Street in Chinatown.

• Try Madam Kwan’s restaurant serving you some of the most lip smacking beef jerky.

• Also don’t forget to taste the deep fried bananas, yams and smoking hot potato rolls.

• You cannot miss the fried flat noodles cooked with the choicest veggies and poultry on the streets of Penang.

• Stroll along the narrow lanes of Jalan Alor in KL city to find an endless stretch of food stalls waiting to serve you. Must taste: Satay grilled chicken, beef jerky and deserts.

• If you’re in Borneo then you can’t resist the grilled fish which is a speciality there.

• And last but not the least you’ll find a scrumptious spread of all kinds of food in Malacca on Jonker Street.

The price? You’ll get any food of your choice for about 10$ in Petalang street or even less than that.

So what you waiting for? Come taste a little bit of Malaysia in the most cheapest and appetizing way.
benleeph says:
Very famous in Petaling street is the followings:-
1) Beef noodles
2) Baked sting ray fish
3) Fried Hokkien noodles

Lots of food available there.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2011
stefan88 stefan88
Typical shopping street Sep 23, 2010
Our tour through Kuala Lumpur lead us to Jalan Petaling, as it is known as the typical shopping street.

We went there at midi, first having a walk through the market and afterwards going to a restaurant nearby.

For the market was a typical tourist attraction: everyone is offering the best and the cheapest things of course. Typically they sell souveniers, clothing, bags and watches (all original and non-fake of course ;)).

After having a look at the whole market I went to one of the stands to buy a T-shirt and some small souveniers for my family.

The street itself was pretty crowded on midi, but I that was no problem for me. Just be careful about your valuables.

I would recommend going to Jalan Petaling, it's nothing special but the market is good, anf if you go there be sure to also visit Sri Mahamariamman Temple located just a few steps away from the market.
vivien_huang vivien_h…
Most visited place in Kuala Lumpur Jul 11, 2010
Every time I visit Kuala Lumpur-Malaysia, I'm definitely taking the time to visit Chinatown in Petaling Sreet. The streets are very crowded, start from the afternoon until night. Never get bored watching a variety being sold there, from clothes, bags, shoes, sandals, plus many of food stalls which are very tasty and also cheap.

I remember when I bought the shoes there, with good enough quality at a price that could be considered very cheap. At that time, I was bargain hard and finally, he gave the price as I want .. really nice ..

And also never forgot to buy salt pork, I really liked the taste of savory and slightly spicy.

to remember, be careful to bring your valuables, because this road is very crowded with visitors.

Related Travel Blogs About Petaling Street

Petaling Street, Where Chinatown Comes to Life.
This is indeed one of the local tourist attraction spot. Imitation Branded bags, Wallets, Shoes, Watched, and a whole lot of other Goodies. Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Rolex, you name it, they got it. … This is indeed one of the local tourist attraction spot. Imitation Branded bags, Wallets, Shoes, Watched, and a whole lot…
Hong Kong + Macao
We arrived in HK airport at 10.30am, by the time we reached our airport is around 12noon time. My sisters waiting for me at the airport coz we took different flight. After check in  Metropark Mo…Petaling Street at Kuala Lumpur. The stuffs there not really cheap though, if you really want to buy then you can bargain…

Check Kuala Lumpur Hotel Deals