Perth Zoo

P.O. Box 489, Perth, Australia

Perth Zoo Reviews

jasoniii jasoniii
Perth Zoo Jan 14, 2011
As a Perthian, the Perth Zoo is one of my favorite things to do when I'm home. I personally believe that the Perth Zoo is one of the most beautiful zoos I have ever been too. Every time I visit, there have been additional renovations and improvements to make the enclosures as life-like as possible to the animals natural conditions. Additionally, there is a huge theme of education and awareness present, so that visitors become aware of the threats and dangers to the animals natural environments.

The site is 41 acres, and opened in 1898. The zoo is home to over 1200 animals, covering 169 species. Main areas include the Main Lake, Australian Wetlands, Australian Walkabout, African Savannah, Asian Rainforest, and African Savannah. Some major exhibits within these areas include the Nocturnal House, Australian Black Cockatoo exhibit, Numbats Under Threat exhibit, Reptile Encounter, and Penguin Plunge. All enclosures have been designed to mimic the animals' natural habitats and utilize passive barriers where possible.

The Perth Zoo participates in several breeding programs for several species, such as: giraffe, white rhinoceros, sumatran tiger and the orangutan which have resulted in a few births.

One of my favorite ways of getting to the zoo is by ferry.

Perth Zoo is a short walk from the Mends Street Jetty in South Perth. Ferries depart from the Barrack Street Jetty (across the river in Perth) every half-hour during the day, and quarter-hour at peak times.

For further information on ferry timetables and prices please call Transperth information on 13 62 13 or visit
Perth Foreshore ferry - to South P…
South Perth Jetty, access to Perth…
sshaunaa sshaunaa
A small but charming zoo with all the Aussie animals you want to see Dec 12, 2008
Like many things about Perth, the zoo has lots of animals, but has the feeling of a small z. In all I spent approximately two hours walking through the zoo and was able to see all the displays.

Highlights of my visit included an elephant demonstration, which had two of the zoo's elephants doing various tricks and the kangaroo section, where the kanagroos are allowed to roam free within in a fenced area, including the pathways you walk along. This resulted in having an up close and personal encouter with a kangaroo that was trying to jump across the pathway located right behind me :)

There is also a rather large area of gorillas and basically all the native Aussie animals you want to see such as kangaroos, koalas, wombats, emus and lots and lots of birds.

The entrance fee for an adult is $19.00 and for $2 you can get a colour coded map, which I found useful when trying to get around.

I'd recommend going either on a cooler day (25 degrees or cooler) or to go early in the morning because it gets quite hot.

website -
The elephant show
birds in the various ponds througo…
A really, really old turtle
A kangaroo that I think was posing…
Horus380 says:
i chuckled at the gorilla comment, you make it sound like they are native to Australia :) well thats how I read it :P
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009
rufusvb rufusvb
Great to do in the weekend: Perth Zoo Mar 30, 2008
You can go to Perth Zoo for 18 dollars.

You can walk around the zoo for about 3 hours and you will see all Australian wildlife by doing a 'bushwalk'. You can also see the asian and african part of the zoo.

They have got different themes in the zoo: africa, asia, australia, south america, plants etc.

A nice place to go one time, especially with children. But also for adults a great place to go.
rianvb rianvb
Good sunday afternoon activity Mar 30, 2008
For only 18 dollars you will spend 3 hours walking around seeing different animals everytime.

They really made an effort to make a good house for the 1200 different typs of animals they host.

The made different walking tracks like the African Safari, the Asian jungle and the Australian bush walk.

They also have a big open area where you can bbq and spend some time resting your feet.

Take the ferry from the Barrack street jetty to South Perth and start your day out on the ferry over the swan river!

Related Travel Blogs About Perth Zoo

The Perth Zoo
Through a weekly Pub Quiz, I've gotten to know a lovely couple from England, one who whom works at in the ED of a local hospital with a couple of my best friends. As they'd never been befor…Perth Zoo was in order. Now the Perth Zoo (opened 1898) is one of those places that everyone…
Back in Perth
Terry headed back to his In-laws place satisfied that this was definitely the country for him.  I wrote to him a couple of times in the next 12 months but he hadn't managed to relocate from Hull…Perth Zoo.   I'd been to the zoo with my Grandparents years earlier but I couldn't remember…
Here's the city I now call home
I arrived in Perth at the end of October 2008. As I have now lived in this city for almost a month and a half, I thought I'd list my favourite experiences to date (in no particular order): 1. Going …Perth Zoo. The highlight (which my Perth friends laugh about) was the kangaroo section where they can roam…

Check Perth Hotel Deals