Perilla

(212) 929-6868

Perilla New York Reviews

s7truong s7truong
Nov 10, 2007
This is Top Chef season 1 winner Harold Dieterle's new restaurant in the Village. My friend and I arrived here an hour early to just chill at the bar and enjoy a glass of wine. The bartender gave us courteous service, and she was very polite to us when my friend didn't like the initial taste of her Cab/Sauv. We both opted for the Pinot Noir which was very sweet, meant to compliment the flavorful meats. The restaurant is naturally loud, and the environment is conducive to lively discussion.

We ordered the meatballs out of recommendation. I have had better meatballs (I think Swedish ones at Aquavit and Smorgas Chef are more flavorful), but these were visually delightful. For my main course, I ordered the hen, because I wanted a difficult protein to cook and see how they would prepare it. The hen was BURSTING in flavor, and there was a mixture of ingredients that looked complicated, appealing, and tasted so well together. My friend actually did not like her dish (a fish plate), and she said that it was overbearing in the sauce flavor. I'm still giving Perilla a 5 star rating, though, based on my own personal dining experience.

Check New York Hotel Deals