Penzance Backpackers (the Blue Dolphin)

Alexandra Road, Penzance, United Kingdom
www.pzbackpack.com - (01736) 363836
Penzance Backpackers - The hostel from outside
Penzance Backpackers - The kitchen - look @ the convenient food baskets on the right
Penzance Backpackers - My room
Penzance Backpackers - View from my room - it doesn't get more domesticated than this!

Check Penzance Hotel Deals

Penzance Backpackers (the Blue Dolphin) Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Home away from home - except your mum didn't charge you this much for laundry! May 10, 2008
I stayed in this hostel for a total of 4 nights and I'm impressed. The place is run by a South African - Stuart and is very neatly maintained. He obviously knows what a backpacker wants - they've got a cosy lounge, a kitchen with a huge centre table where one can socialise with fellow backpackers, and the beds and attached bathrooms are very clean. This hostel is the closest of all 3 hostels in the city, to the city centre. There's a bus stop that's about 2-3 minutes walk where buses to Land's End come on an hourly basis. The fridges are spacious enough, I love how they provide these big baskets for us to store our food in the kitchen shelf, complete with tags and a marker for us to mark our name and departure date. Very well done! The kitchen has utensils of varying sizes, tons of plates, no dearth of cutlery. There's free tea and coffee as well! The room beds are very comfortable, each has a light and they don't make too much noise. The hostel itself is located in a nice part of town, very quiet neighbourhood yet 10 mins walk from the city cente (Market Jew Street), and 5 mins walk from the town's most popular pub Alexandra's Inn.

However, before you guys get carried away with this review and start making your bookings, there are some downsides you should be aware of as well. The walls are incredibly thin. Incredibly. Not kidding. Any kind of loud conversation that goes on downstairs, we get to hear it word for word upstairs. In the room I was in, I could hear the next door room guys flush the toilet!

Next, for someone that claims that being a fellow backpacker, he knows exactly what backpackers need - pray, why isn't there computers with Internet connection in the hostel? Sure, the hostel has "internet connection" that we can use with our personal lappies, but how many backpackers and indepedent hikers/travellers would carry laptops with them whilst hiking in Cornwall? To make things worse, the town has very poor public Internet facilities - only the public library that's closed on Sunday's and a "Penzance Computers", the only Electronics store in the city which conveniently doesn't write its timings on the store windows although they claim to be open "late evenings and on Sundays". I was probably living my evenings in a parallel universe because it sure wasn't open when I walked by it. Anyway, lack of public internet was a huge problem - Stuart should buy one for our access.

Next, why isn't there a microwave? I won't believe the electric hazards, blah blah excuse becuase he's got a ton of electric stoves that could easily cause the same kind of damage. Laundry costs 4GBP. LOL!

Finally, the hours of the hostel - they should be open during the day from 10am onwards and not close in the afternoon. Most trains to Penzance reach the town only at 1pm+, and the hostel isn't exactly a stone's throw from the city centre.... so closing at 2pm is a huge inconvenience.

But overall, I'd give this one a 3/5 rating. Very safe, very friendly and very "cosy" place for people to stay in. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and met some fantastic fellow independent travellers.
The hostel from outside
The kitchen - look @ the convenien…
My room
View from my room - it doesn't get…
hightide says:
Love your title! :) The laundry probably costs nearly as much as your 1 night hostel stay.
Posted on: Sep 22, 2016
Vikram says:
Hey that's good to know. Thanks for letting me know!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2010
rachael_pzbackers says:
Hiya!
We've just taken over the pz backpackers so wanted to update you on the changes since the above was posted.. we do now have a microwave!! the walls may still be thin but we are in the process of redecorating the whole house, which will include replastering the walls etc so this will hopefully improve this.. although if you do stay and find a problem with noise, we can either move you, or the noise! :) we are in the process of setting up a computer that you can use for accessing travel info, train times etc and in the mean time, we're more than happy to help where we can with such info- just ask :) we also no longer close in the afternoons, but during the winter we ask if you can call ahead and let us know when you're going to arrive, so we can make sure we'll be there to let you in :) All in all, hopefully changes for the better! We look forward to seeing you all soon!!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2010