Pension Wasserman

24 Kaiserstrasse, Vienna, Austria
Pension Wasserman - Room with bathroom door open - from entrance
Pension Wasserman - 'Garden View'
Pension Wasserman - room view from window behind bathroom door
Pension Wasserman - Kitchenette - view from entrnce
Pension Wasserman - My bed.. and space next to window
Pension Wasserman - Room view from my bed - entrance behind chair

Check Vienna Hotel Deals

Pension Wasserman Vienna Reviews

owlcritic owlcritic
A massive disappointment May 08, 2011
Situated in a historic part of Vienna in a beautiful old building, very competently restored. More's the pity therefore that the apartment turned out to be such a rip-off.

In the first place it did by no means or manner resemble the photos shown to us by the person that recommended it to us - an otherwise really knowledgeable and friendly guy of which I'll say more later..

I suppose we should have sussed that there is a snake in the grass when we arrived with no one to receive us. We had to scout around until we found a notice that directed to a first floor office with a cctv camera above it.

I knocked on the steel covered door and just as I gave up and trundled down the narrow stairs an elderly gentleman emerged whose command of the English language was apparently non existent. Be that as it may, we were given a key and directed to the second floor.

We were pleasantly impressed by the mosaic patterns on the floor and the stairs, the banister beautiful and interesting wall paintings. The shock therefore when we opened the ornate door to what can best be described as an oversized broom cupboard.

The entire space was filled with two single beds,a 'kitchenette', a bathroom the size of a cabinet and a built-in wardrobe that is not really built-in but tacked on.

The beds were kids size. I called them Rapunzel's beds. I'm 6'2" and had to assume a foetal position just to fit onto mine. My wife is only 5'5" and she could not stretch out..

We each had a single duvet and a pillow filled with about two feathers and a lot of air which ensured that we both developed a crick in the neck by the next morning. The much vaunted garden view was absolutely non existent - even providing you could squeeze between the beds and the 'bathroom'. What you really looked out upon is someone else's back yard replete with a boat wreck and cars and bikes under tarpaulins.

Although the place was neat and clean it most definitely was not 100 euro a night value. We considered leaving straight away but it was already late afternoon, check-in is only after 1400, and risky to do so unless we could find an alternative. Then the final shocker.. we decided on this offer because it had WiFi. This is how we communicated with the outside world and planned our trip as we progressed. Lo and behold, NO INTERNET!! Now we're really stuck!

So, off I went to find the gentleman of the office and see whether I'm missing something and to request a decent apartment - BUT NOTHING, the office is closed or my knocking turned to hammering on the door is just ignored.

We were now obliged to stay and make the best of a very unsatisfactory situation.

The next morning, all grumpy, cramped and miserable, we packed up and prepared to drag our luggage down the two flights of stairs (no lift!). Seeing as I failed to raise anyone the previous evening, we put he money for the night - minus 5euro in compensation for an Internet cafe we will now have to go find - on the sink (remember the kitchenette?) BUT as we opened the door, out jumped, metaphorically speaking, a lady which proved to be the old gentleman's' wife hand held out and demanding her money. AND WOULD YOU KNOW, ENGLISH SUDDENLY IS NO PROBLEM!

We griped our gripe which made no impression, showed her the money and left. Oh, we were told we could pay by credit card, but she would have none of it - no card machine she said - so we parted with the cash and wrote this one off to experience.

a word about 'elle' or Ilye, he calls himself elle, that is the gent who sent us to the pension.

Elle is the most knowledgeable person we encountered in all of Vienna, bar none, and he can sell ice to an Eskimo!

He is friendly, helpful and spare no effort to get you what you want. The only thing is that he sells stuff he has never seen such as the Pension Wassermann.

- for more about Elle see my review of Vienna (Wien) to follow -
Room with bathroom door open - fro…
"Garden View"
room view from window behind bathr…
Kitchenette - view from entrnce