Pension Mari-luz

Pension Mari-luz Rates and Deals

Pension Mari-luz Barcelona Reviews

Transitory Transito…
Pension Mariluz for youngsters Dec 23, 2009
Located off of Plaza Jaume, and Plaza St. Miguel, on a quiet street which is a bit shady at night, Pension Mariluz is a bit hard to find. Not quite as central as the other cluster of hostels and hotels near Las Ramblas, the popular touristic shopping grounds of Barcelona. But it offers a quiet repose, very near a central area.

There are some amenities, clean sheets, decent coverlets, charming Spanish Gothic architecture, such as the small wrought iron balcony of mine overlooking a courtyard, with a cactus plant, punch pink blooms, terracotta tiles and warm yellow walls.

Additionally there is free wifi in some rooms, outlets, other small but useful details like a small lamp, a plug in the sink for wash, towels, free lockers and soap bars gratis. Heat and air condition can be controlled in the room. Minor detraction is there is no phone in the room. And the prices on their website for private apartments is not altogether the same as what is quoted in person.

There is access to a kitchen and laundry machines in a room near the 24 hour reception.

There is no curfew, you are provide with keys, and there is a staff to check in with, at times they are helpful.

However they are really strict about not having guests, to the point of rudeness. My friends were helping me carry groceries (for Christmas since I thought the shops would be closed), the staff was rude about rushing them out of the place, though it was a long walk up and they were there for less than 5 minutes. There was no sympathy for them, though they had red faces from the exertion of carrying the groceries, just unapologetic rudeness from Abdul.

Then when my friend joined me to stay, which was paid for OF COURSE, a staff member, Noemie said I did not pay, which I responded firmly that I had, he said I did not, which at this point I was impatient, I responded curtly that I had, then he backpedaled and relented. I am more ethical then trying to sneak in people for the sake of saving a few Euros, I did not appreciate any underlying accusations of trying to cheat a business. Really, could he not have done a simple quick check on file that both guests were paid for instead of completely disregarding minimum customer service?

I can understand of course when he asked us to lower our voices which apparently could be heard through the non soundproof walls. I include this piece of information to try to be less biased...but I do not understand why he then had to stand outside our door for an additional ten minutes apologizing that he did not care about the noise, it was for the other guests' sake, and wasting everyone's time (this was after midnight), as if we could not comprehend this simple request, and isn't standing in the hallway lecturing even more noisy? As soon as we realized others could be disturbed by our talking, we had already resolved to be more aware of our noise, so it was annoying as we were getting ready to sleep already.

The showers and toilets are in the hall, cleaned daily from what I can tell. The housekeeper was a sweetheart.
cactus on my balcony
courtyard view
gothic no?
Transitory says:
I know, I'm a naggy old lady, or an aggressive bossy man depending who you ask.
Posted on: Jan 07, 2010