Pension Ivatan & Restaurant

pensionivatanbatanes.com - Smart (+63908.865.9675) Globe (+63905.585.9288

Pension Ivatan & Restaurant Basco Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
a good place to have a try of the Ivatan local dishes Jun 20, 2012
It is interesting to know that Philippines have thousands of dishes from different regions or ethnolinguistics.

The Ivatans are Filipino ethnolinguistic group predominant in the Batanes Islands of the Philippines. Of course they have their own food "specialties"!

Whenever I visit a certain place I make it a point to try the local delicacies. I expressed that to my tour guide so she brought us to Pension Ivatan & Restaurant.

This establishment is a lodging/hostel first and foremost but they operate a little restaurant and bakeshop.

It is located just across the airport. The place is quite famous.

The small outdoor shack serves to be their dining area. It looks like a “bahaykubo” (a small native house made of bamboo & cogon grass) but no walls. That makes the place relaxing due to breeze that circulates in and through out the shack. Just look at the pictures and you'll know what I mean! :-)

I love the flowering plants surrounding the shack.

A small, shabby sink is next to the shack where one can wash their hands before eating.

I ordered the “Sizzling Sisig”. Sisig is made of pig's ears, please don’t say ewww! The pig's ears are washed thoroughly, boiled for hours and then they're roasted. When its roasted, they're chopped into tiny pieces then they squeeze calamansi juice(the Philippine version for lime or lemon), mix chopped onions, stirred in spoonfuls of mayonnaise and seasoned with soy sauce,salt & pepper. The dish is usually serve on a sizzling plate topped with cracked fresh eggs and chopped spring onions! IMO, Everyone should try this dish when visiting the Philippines not just in Batanes!

I also ordered “Ukoy”. It is just a simple vegie fritter made out of grated squash or green papaya smothered in a special kind of batter. Deep fried. It is usually served with vinegar & garlic for dipping.

The rest of the group ordered the “Ivatan Platter” which is a huge plate of all the food specialty of the Ivatan people. The platter is more than enough for 7 people! It is like a 'foretaste’ of each dish with a little bit of everything:

- Yellow rice seasoned with ginger and used turmeric

- Luniz which is their version of adobo-- cooked slowly in its own fat with salt

- Kananiz like a cuttlefish or giant squid

- Venus a kind of pickled veggie salad made out of taro leaves

- Uvod balls made from young banana stalks

- Paco Salad which is a wild fern plant harvested usually in tropical forests

- Steamed coconut crabs and many more

We also ordered fresh coconut for our drinks and dessert as well.

The food is great! I like the paco salad the most!

The staffs are very attentive to our needs. They are friendly but a bit reserve (too shy)which is a common traits of provincial people!

I went back to this place twice for breakfasts. I ordered their “tapsilog and longsilog” meals. "tap" is shortcut for "tapa" (fried dried beef meat), "si" is for "siningag (fried rice) and "log" is for "itlog" (eggs), "long" is for longanisa (Philippine sausage).

I spent PHP 120.00 (about US $ 3.00 not bad!) for each meals. Coffee is included in the meal. By the way, their brewed coffee is a MUST try!

I do recommend this place if you want to try the Ivatan dishes.
the menu card