Penrhyn Castle

none needed, Bangor, United Kingdom

Penrhyn Castle Bangor Reviews

davidx davidx
Mock Norman monstrosity - redeeming features Jun 25, 2009
I had real trouble rating this one. Good points first - the kitchen area and some of the exhibitions in the stable block are absolutely fascinating - as are many aspects of the grounds, including an excellent Victorian walled garden.

BUT the 'castle' itself is, to my mind, a sheer monstrosity. I admit that if you really want to see a 19th century home masquerading as a Norman castle, you won't easily find a building that displays more architectural skill in that line. However, impressive as some genuine Norman structures are - and I love some - the Gothic style largely replaced it. Is that a good recommendation for building a house in this style in the 19th century? Ugh!

However I cannot help recommending it as a curiosity and that kitchen/stable area would merit 5 circles on its own, if it were a bit cheaper.

Related Travel Blogs About Penrhyn Castle

The Spinneys
Stephen had the afternoon off but he had organised our day so that we should not be too shattered to enjoy eating with them in the evening - in which he was totally successful. In the morning he had…Penrhyn castle estate (from Bangor) and nar to the sea. I have tried to discover whether the water in the pools…

Compare Bangor Hotel Rates (0.3km away)

Penrhyn Castle Map