Pennsylvania State Farm Show

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State Farm Show Harrisburg Reviews

pinchora pinchora
The Best Milkshakes and Ice Cream in the Country? Jan 15, 2009
The PA farm show is every year in January at the farm show complex in Harrisburg.... I knew it was going on but I never had any inkling to go until I was watching the news on Wednesday nigt. Then on the news they talked about the PA preferred chef cookoff... hmmm... I thought to myself... I never associated the farm show with food. But then it dawned on me that that was a stupid assumption and that they would probably have amazing food with all the natural food that is made here!

So I went home and looked at the web page and this is what I found out about the little thing I didn't know about... "the PA farm show is one of the most celebrated agricultural events in the country. Visitors have the chance to see nearly 6,000 animals, 10,000 competitive exhibits and 270 commercial exhibitors." I also saw that they were selling honey ice cream, maple syrup ice cream, honey waffles, maple cotton candy, lamb stew, milk shakes, blooming onion, potato donut, apple dumplings, and a whole lot more...

There was also events like a rodeo (everything was free except for the Rodeo and the parking) and there was also pig wrestling and cattle hearding and each room had a different type of animal in it... you can see horses, cows, pigs, roosters, chickens, Alpaca, bison and a whole lot more.

In the Main room there was alot of vendors where you can find venison jerky, bison jerky, steak jerky, natural cheeses, lotions, honey, maple syrup, hot sauce, meats...

But the week is definitely a must see and I'm happy I drove the 2 hours to go see it!!!

When I walked into the complex I turned right and went to the food court and where you could look at tractors and horse trailers...and then I went back into the main lobby and walked into the rest of the area..but beware...when you go to the left it's like a casino... I kept walking around in circles and then I finally asked Miss Dairy Princess on how to get out of there...
the cattle herders
pinchora says:
Ha Ha Ha... yeah Alyssa... food is what I live for... it keeps me excited... I'd go to death valley if it meant having great food!!!

And Vances... yeah there was a snow storm this year;...but the day I went it was nice blue skies!!!
Posted on: Jan 17, 2009
alyssa_ob says:
Why am I not surprised that you went to a festival just for the food?
Posted on: Jan 17, 2009
vances says:
You forgot to mention that the Farm Show is notorious for attracting snow storms each year. My mother lives just up the river and she always hunkes down this week!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2009
amberbechtel amberbec…
Aug 23, 2007
PENNSYLVANIA STATE FARM SHOW COMPLEX & EXPO CENTER

One of Harrisburg's claims to fame is that is it home to the largest indoor agricultural complex in America if not the world - The Pennsylvania State Farm Show Complex - which spans 24 acres, consists of over 1 million square feet on indoor floor space, and maintains a lingering odor of elephant. The main parking area can be accessed on Cameron and Maclay Streets.

Erected in 1966 The Farm Show hosts over 200 large events and shows each year including circuses, dog shows, horse shows, car shows, boat shows, gun shows, rodeos, and quilt extravaganzas. Undoubtly the pinnacle event on the calender is the annual Pennsylvania State Farm Show itself - a State Fair of Megadrome proportions.

PENNSYLVANIA STATE FARM SHOW

Taking place annually during the first two weeks of January, the PA State Farm Show features agricultural exhibitions on everything from rabbits to Christmas trees, contests and awards, rodeos and a food court. It also provides a forum for farmers to learn about the newest agricultural techniques and equipment, to bring produce and livestock for competition and according to the event's website, "to visit the PA Farm Show as a family vacation." Admission is free.

For the non-farmer, a few of the draws are the educational booths as well as contests including; sheep-to-shawl, draft-horse pulling, square dancing, cow-milking and swine judging among others.

The Food Court at the Farm Show makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Fresh cut french fries and potato donuts, milkshakes, slow roasted pulled pork sandwiches, pink lemonade, cinnamon sticky buns, apple cider, apple turnovers and anything and everything that can be deep-fried.

Then there's the life-sized butter sculpture. It took 800 pounds of Land-o-Lake's to create last year's masterpiece which paid tribute to two historical icons, Benjamin Franklin and the Liberty Bell. At the end of the Farm Show the butter was recycled into biofuel.

In 2007, over 400,000 people attended the Farm Show. Parking can be a little crazy so if you do go - remember where you park. The Farm Show is also a great place for people watching and Amish-spotting.

Check Harrisburg Hotel Deals