Pennsylvania Hotel

New York, New York

Pennsylvania Hotel New York Reviews

simply_abz simply_a…
Hotel Pennsylvania Jan 17, 2013
On a recent trip to New York (November 2012), my mom and I stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania. We booked a budget room for 4 nights (Sunday-Wednesday), which came up to approximately $100/night. There were good reviews online about their budget rooms and the hotel location (we wanted to stay somewhere that was close to everything in the city), which made me book it straight away. Getting to the hotel, my mom and I were surprised and pleased to find out that the hotel was located right across Madison Square Garden - on 34th street and 7th Avenue.

We thought that it can only get better from there. At check-in, we were informed that there were extra fees - especially 'Occupancy fees', which came to an extra $22 per day. I was quite upset by that but didn't let it get to me.

As soon as we entered our room, we were speechless. The place was quite filthy. The bed was so dusty and didn't look like it was changed - I didn't even want to sit on it for fear that I might catch something. The window was opened and since it was November - it was really chilly. It also smelled like cigarettes (it was a non-smoking room) and the heater was not working.

Highly disappointed, we both picked up our handbags and explored the nearby surroundings. I cheered up when we discovered that our hotel was only a 10 minute walk to Times Square! There were so many places to eat at along the way and H&M was only two doors down from the hotel. I honestly did not feel like going back to our room.

Seeing how exhausted my mom was, I knew that we inevitably had to go back - I just had to sacrifice, reminding myself that I paid a good price for being pretty much at the center of New York!

We got back to the hotel and after a while, we were both itching. There were mosquitoes in our room! My mom requested for someone to come up and fix our heater as well as bring up bug spray (if they had any). The manager advised us that they were not allowed to spray the rooms with bug spray (as it is a health hazard) and that we would be transferred to another room instead, at no charge.

In short, we were upgraded to a higher level and a better room - much better. The fact that they were able to quickly respond to our needs and were concerned about our well-being made me feel so impressed about their customer service. There was wi-fi upstairs as well, which was a huge plus, meaning that we got to Skype with our family back in Sydney, Australia.

I would definitely recommend Hotel Pennsylvania, but warn others that their 'Budget' rooms are exactly that - budget rooms. So if you are okay with some of those conditions I have mentioned then you'll have no problems as you cannot ask for a better location in the Big Apple.
View right outside our hotel in NY…

Check New York Hotel Deals