Penang Butterfly Farm

830 Jalan Teluk Bahang, Penang, Malaysia

Penang Butterfly Farm Reviews

montecarlostar montecar…
I never thought I'd be so charmed by a butterfly farm Nov 15, 2012
Kong's suggestion to visit this butterfly farm was genious, and probably the best highlight landmark of my Penang trip. This place is extraordinary, not just for kids, but for people of all ages. And in fact it is a very unique place, as it is the world's first tropical live butterfly sanctuary.

As soon as you get in the greenhouse area of the place you are welcome by dozens and probably hundreds of the most beautiful species of butterfly you have ever seen. Some of them are really charming and exotic, and some fascinating, like those "dry-leaf" look butterflies, they are amazing! I can assure you will take hundreds of pictures in this place.

After the butterfly zone, you can also admire the insect-eating plants (I remember having seen these in books when I was a kid), iguanas, ducks, turtles and more.

Then you can go to the inside rooms of the farm to see the most scary insects you can ever think of, going from centipodes, beetles, spiders and many more.

The gift room is full with dissecated butterflies and other insects as well, you will definitively want to buy one of these!

I had a great time in this place, so I want to recommend it 100% to anyone visiting Penang, you'll have a blast!
Entrance sign
Haha she was posing over me :)
Impressive, isn't it??
With the giant beetle
montecarlostar says:
Well, I have a friend there and he was the one who took me there :) maybe it's a place a bit off the beaten path :)
Posted on: Jul 14, 2013
Cho says:
I was in Penang so many times I've lost count, but have never been to the Butterfly Farm. Shame on me!
Posted on: Jul 14, 2013
montecarlostar says:
Thank you very much everybody!! I appreciate it!! :D
Posted on: Jan 28, 2013
christl3 christl3
A flutteringly fun experience Dec 11, 2012
The cost into the butterfly farm was RM 24 (€6) per person. We thought this was expensive but it is worth it!

It is located on the north-west part of the island, outside the National Park. The bus number 101 goes directly there. You can catch this bus opposite the 7/11 on Chulia Street every half hour, or from the bus station on the Quay.

As soon as you walk into the farm a swarm of delicate butterflies begin fluttering around your head. The farm is a small enclosed area with a lot of shrubbery and greenery with narrow paths leading you throughout the garden.

Guides through the farm leave every hour or two and run for about 45 minutes, giving a trove of valuable and relevant information. The guide seemed really passionate about the butterflies.

There are various different cocoon-holding stands around the farm that had caterpillar cocoons hanging from them, waiting to transform into butterflies. The cycle of the butterfly is explained. It goes from larvae to caterpillar to cocoon into beautiful butterfly. Like the transformation of a duckling to a swan!

The butterflies are everywhere. You can squirt some honey on your hand and they will land on it :) They all have wonderfully vibrant different colours and styles. I had never seen anything like it!

The average life expectancy of the butterfly is two weeks.

The shop at the end of the farm is filled with different sorts of butterflies to buy. They are placed in glass cases and are from all over the world. They cost from €30 - €100 depending on the species and how many you want in the glass case. The colours last for over ten years.

Highly recommended.
Amandac08 Amandac08
Amazing fun with the right guide Nov 22, 2011
At 27 MYR (or $8.50) the butterfly farm is an affordable fun place to visit. We took a self Guided tour through the farm and were rather bored Just as we were about to leave one of the Butterfly Farm staff Edimen (forgive me if this is wrong)educated us on a sea turtle in a tank at the Exit and basically gave us a whole knew tour. He was extremely knowledgeable and great fun to listen to as we toured the farm. We fed butterflies, held ball pythons and generally learned a lot about animal and plant life in Malaysia. Well worth a visit!
Snake charming
small wonders

Related Travel Blogs About Penang Butterfly Farm

thousands of butterflys and going to Borneo
We're in down time now before heading to Borneo so we took a nice and easy morning at the hotel reading on the balcony, only venturing far enough to book a hotel online on the computers helpfully pro…Penang Butterfly Farm and it was pretty good. Seeing hundreds of butterflys flying about everywhere is a pretty surreal…
Penang... island of spices
Salamet Datang!!  Warmest greetings from the island of Penang, Malaysia! Arrived safely and have already experienced a lot just in my first few days.  I had a pretty uneventful flight …Butterfly Farm and a trip up Penang Hill on the tram.     So, from the land of spices…

Check Penang Hotel Deals