Peggy Sue's 50's Diner

www.peggysuesdiner.com - (760) 254-3370

Peggy Sue's 50's Diner Yermo Reviews

austin37335 austin37…
Authentic 50's diner Jun 23, 2011
We were driving from Las Vegas to Los Angeles on the Mojave Freeway, Interstate 15. A couple of hours into the journey, just past the halfway point and we're just starting to feel hungry when we spot the first signs for Peggy Sue's 50's Diner. Now this sounds intriguing so the decision is made, that's where we're stopping.

Several miles later in Yermo, California, we're finally pulling into the car park and we're not disappointed. This place looks the real deal and the 50's retro look is all that we'd hoped it would be, with it's 'juke box' style design. It turned out that this place isn't retro at all, it is an authentic 50's diner, having been established in 1954.

The interior is equally of the period and it looks great. Although the restaurant has been extended from what was a single counter, it has been done in keeping with the original. The waitresses are all dressed in period outfits and the place is filled with memorabilia.

The menu is good old traditional American and many dishes have their own show-business related names. 'The Frankie Avalon' (bacon cheeseburger), 'The Cary Grant' (honey ham sandwich), and 'The Marilyn Monroe' (pineapple cheesecake) add fun to the menu and complete the theme. The food is pretty good too and not so pricey either.

The diner also has a tourist shop attached selling all kinds of '5 and dime' items, curios, memorabilia, sodas, and ice cream.

All in all this restaurant is highly recommended. It is not just somewhere to eat, it is an experience - particularly if you, like us, are foreigners looking to sample something typically American.
Peggy Sue's exterior
The Mojeve Highway
Phil & Andy waiting patiently for …
Peggy Sue's menu
1morespicy 1morespi…
A retro gem in the middle of nowhere. Feb 26, 2010
Peggy Sue's 50's Diner is located along side the I-15 in Yermo, CA. It's sign posted miles before you get anywhere near it and I'd seen it once before on a drive from Vegas to LA. Unfortunately my co-traveler at the time refused to stop so I was determined to stop there at another time.

You can't really miss it from the road. It's painted in pastel colours and the front of it looks like a giant jukebox. We stopped there for breakfast on the way back to LA. Inside it's a lot bigger than you think. It looks exactly like you would expect from a 50's diner. Just like the ones you see in the movies. We took a seat at the counter as all the tables were full. It was already very busy early in the morning. It has a great atmosphere. Movie memorabilia everywhere.

I ordered a breakfast with coffee. The service wasn't especially fast but they are very good at keeping your coffee topped up. I think I must've drunk close to a gallon of the stuff! The breakfast was good. Everything on my plate was fresh and the price was pretty average for this kind of place.

After we paid the bill we took a look around the shop and then walked round the back to check out the diner-saur park.

It definitely worth a stop. It makes a change from the bustle of Barstow station and MacDonalds.
austin37335 says:
Great review. We loved this place too!
Posted on: Sep 25, 2011