Pegasus

Mysundegade 28, Copenhagen, Denmark

Pegasus Copenhagen Reviews

hdichter hdichter
Aug 02, 2007
My German friend and I walked away from the center of Copenhagen to try to find a place to eat dinner. We walked through a bit of the red light district and once we got past that, we figured we would just find a place and eat. Only, the further we walked, we did not see much in the way of restaurants. As we were crossing the a street, a girl on her bike stopped to let us cross. My German friend stopped and asked her if she knew of any place to eat nearby, and she told us to go one block back in the direction from which we were walking, turn left, and there would be a restaurant there.

We followed her advice and came to Pegasus, which looked like a really cute place to have dinner. Though as we walked in, I commented that the menus probably were not in English. And they most definitely were not, as the waitress pointed out as soon as she came over to us. We decided that with both of our German, and my trusty Lonely Planet Denmark book with its Danish dictionary in the back, we could handle the menu.

First off, though, we went through the extensive wine and beer list for drinks which was easy enough. Pegasus is known (apparently, as the fabulous internet told me later) for its wine and beer list. I had some of the more obscure Belgian beers I like (well, more obscure if you aren't in Belgium or else really expensive). The prices were pretty standard for Denmark, so you just have to not convert.

But back to the menu. We were able to figure out what the main courses were on the menu. But then there was a tapas menu since Pegasus is, in my opinion, a Spanish-Danish restaurant. It is definitely Spanish, but there are very Danish influences on the menu. The tapas menu took longer to translate. My German friend ordered a fish dish from the regular menu, but I was a bit more adventuresome and went with the six tapas plate. Conveniently the tapas menu is broken down by types of food, and I recognized most everything under the cheese section (with six options). I asked the waitress which were the harder cheeses and ordered one that I knew and from the other two she recommended. I skipped the sausage-type section but ordered from the pate and from the "other" section.

When our two meals came, we were anxious to see how well our translation skills converted into foods we expected. For the most part, we were pretty correct. The presentation of the food was great, and it tasted really good. One one hand, I expected a lot more food with the tapas plate, but at the same time, it was plenty of food -- all of it was pretty hearty (that, and I ordered a side of bread).

Pegasus only accepts cash (no plastic), but the waitress was really kind and gave us plenty of time to decipher the menu. The atmosphere was really cool, and it was nice to have a choice of beer other than Carlsberg or Tuborg. A great place with great food -- just be sure to bring along a Danish-speaking friend or a good dictionary!

Check Copenhagen Hotel Deals