Pedestrian Crossings

Moneda, Santiago, Chile

Pedestrian Crossings Santiago Reviews

kellyyyz kellyyyz
Be careful when crossing the street intersections in Santiago. Apr 01, 2011
Before crossing streets in Santiago, be extra careful because pedestrian signs have different meanings than what I was used to (in Toronto). I almost got hit by several cars while crossing the street at the traffic lights. Here's what I figured out:

In Santiago Chile, there are 2 different traffic-light timers.

1. A green walk symbol with a timer = cross the street until the timer ends.

2. A red hand symbol with a timer = stop and stay off the road for the duration of the timer.

I can recall the location of these pedestrian traffic signals next to the Moneda palace, the place where I learned things the hard way!

In Toronto we have 3 different signals in a cycle for indicating when to cross the street.

1. a red hand = stop at the curb

2. a green walking symbol = walk across the street

and finally,

3. A blinking red hand with timer countdown = hurry and complete your crossing before time is up.And when time is up the full stop signal appears once more to repeat the cycle (the red hand).

So imagine me in Chile, crossing the street every time I saw a red hand with a timer! I thought I had lots of time to cross before stopping. Ooops!

For those of you who may still have no clue what I'm trying to describe, you can check out the youtube clip of a Chilean pedestrian crossing:

Related Travel Blogs About Pedestrian Crossings

We finally made it here!
We made it to Auckland after probably the worst ever check-in experience that we could have imagined at Santiago, thanks to the mind-boggling stupidity and dishonesty of the LAN Chile check-in staff …pedestrian crossing as we would expect in Santiago!  The air is very clean for a City and traffic even…

Check Santiago Hotel Deals