Pearl's BBQ

106 NE Highway 441, Micanopy, FL, USA

Pearl's BBQ Micanopy Reviews

jdsgos jdsgos
Jan 30, 2008
Okay so, here I am being sloth like once more. Actually I'm a little bummed out. Mainly cause I just lost my new remote control airplane. Frigging flew out of radio control range and kept going. My little brother is a horrible navigator. Its the last time I listen to him on how to fly a RC plane :-)

So on with my review. This is number two in a series of BBQ stops I have made around the USA. Sorry it took so long since the last one. I actually discovered Pearl's while I was attending the University of Florida in Gainesville. Micanopy is a small little town that you pass through to get to Gainesville, about 6-7 miles maybe. I'm talking small as in two blinking lights, a couple of gas stations (which Pearl's is inside) and alot of antique stores. For some reason, its known for antiques.

I was on a motorcycle ride one Sunday afternoon, and decided to stop for gas at this little place. Inside I found that they had a little BBQ shop. So I stopped for lunch. The owner of the place was named "Big Jim". Believe me, Jim was frigging huge. And man, did he know about BBQing. He was actually in the process of putting together an 'old Florida' cookbook. Keep in mind, this was a couple of years ago. I pretty much went there once a week :-)

The menu is pretty simple. BBQ ribs, chicken, brisket, sausages and great burgers. With all the other side stuff too - slaws and fries and such. And home made cakes and pies. Sweet potato pie....yummo!!! The ribs are to die for. They are smoked all day with a dry rub on them. The BBQ sauce is served on the side. A whole rack of ribs went for $12 with all the fixings. The racks are meaty and moist, enough to get two meals out of them. If I was drunk, I could get the whole thing down at one sitting :-) I'm not much of a BBQ chicken guy, so I can't tell you how they are. But my friends who did have some, said the chicken was great. The smoked sausage is pretty good. With just enough spices, but not too much "heat" to them. You get almost a whole pound of them per order. Yes, I can see how Jim got so big now. Gabi, my vegetarian friend even liked them. And thats saying something. The burgers are super yummo. I usually don't eat too much burgers. But since I was there once again, and had eaten everything on the menu already, I figured I'd give the burgers a try. What a treat. A super big patty with cheese and bacon too. Don't even think of getting a double, its just too big. A burger and fries, as simple as it sounds was great at Pearl's - and all for $5. Did I mention this place is pretty cheap and easy on the wallet. If you really want to pig out, you can get the sampler plate. Its not a 'little' of everything, its a lot of everything. Way too much food - trust me.

They also serve breakfast. Great big cheap breakfast :-) For $7, you can get three eggs, ham steak or bacon or sausage (made here by the way), an order of bisquit and gravy, grits, toast or muffins, and three pancakes. Yes, I was able to finish it all. Then I slept for the rest of the day once I got home :-)

Sad to say, Jim is no longer with us. He is missed. But Pearl's was taken over by his morning cook, Debbie. Thank fully Debbie has not changed a thing on the menu. And whenever I get the chance to visit Gainesville, I usually stop by either on the way into town or out of town.

If you're every passing through north central Florida on I-75, near Micanopy - stop by. If you like BBQ, you'll be glad you did.
reikunboy says:
This is a great review sorry but couldn't help but laugh about your airplane. Sorry but I've always wondered what GRITS are. I've often heard this on the movies or watching an American drama but I have no idea what kind of food it is. This is truly only an American food I think.
timothycote says:
i mean sounds
timothycote says:
I loved the airplane story. I'm still laughing!!!
...and that breakfast songs great!

Check Micanopy Hotel Deals