Peak District

Sheffield, England

Peak District Sheffield Reviews

kate_b666 kate_b666
Jul 17, 2007
One of the most famous areas of England is the Peak District and I am extremely lucky to live so close to it. That feeling has been emphasized today after a birthday outing to the Moors and a walk and picnic along Surprise View...one of the best parts of the Peak District, within easy reach of the bus routes that can take you back to Sheffield! Buses are a great way to get around the Peak District in the summer since it can become very busy and roads can be blocked for hours with cars parking, especially near the picturesque villages like Bakewell. Of course, this year the Peaks havent been very busy at all with all the flooding that is takingplace throughout the United Kingdom and most people don't fancy battling their way through torrential rain to climb a hill! I wonder why!

Of course that's most people and my friend, Hannah, is not most people, in fact she can be strongly and accurately described as a modern day hippy. She's colourful and slightly eccentric ("orange and sparkly" as one ex-boyfriend described her). So of course, a severe weather warning was NOT going to stop her from going onto the moors, and it being her birthday, we were all duty bound by friendship to join her!

Anyway Hannah isn't one of life's organised people, and we had to wait for ages for a bus but once we got there...oh my god...I loved it even if we were in the middle of a storm at one point. The Peak Dsitrict is spectacular and we were't far from Stanage Edge which is where Kiera Knightly stands in Pride and Prejudice...although if you stand there you will feel that wind but you will look extremely odd if you wear a long dress on the moors. If the weather is the least bit threatening and you don't deal well with bad weather, take a raincoat, jumpers ANYTHING to keep warm otherwise you could have a crap time and not appreciate the amazing countryside just on the edge of these big, bustling cities. I am in love with the Peak District, as are most people I know, it is one of the treasures of the United Kingdom and it costs nothing to appreciate.
The birthday gang!

Related Travel Blogs About Peak District

Peak District again
Sunday, at long last, was a sunny day.  This was just as well, because Iain and I were off to visit his friends in Sheffield.  They’ve just moved up from Norwich, so obviously, it&rsq…Sheffield has huge tracts of lovely peak district on its doorstep, and that the city limits extend, unusually for a British…
Another Old House and plenty of walking
After spending a night in Sheffield I decided to head into the Peak District, which I do believe is a national park for real, unlike yesterday's trek to Lyme Park which is part of the National Trust.…Sheffield I decided to head into the Peak District, which I do believe is a national park for real, unlike…

Check Sheffield Hotel Deals