Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox Statue

Bemidji, Minnesota

Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox Statue Bemidji Reviews

pinchora pinchora
A Minnesota Oddity Aug 04, 2008
So in Minnesota there are a couple of statues depicting the life of Paul Bunyan and his blue ox, Babe... and the most famous one is in Bemidji because according to locals... the shore of Lake Bemidji is said to be his birth place. The 18-foot tall, 2.5-ton Paul was built in January 1937 and Babe the Blue Ox, once on wheels, was trucked around to Minnesota carnivals for a few years before joining Paul permanently in 1939.

For those of you who are confused (and I know it was confusing because until I lived here I knew it was a folklore and then with his birthplace and death place you would think he was a real live person) I will give you a 3rd grade history lesson US of A style...

Paul Bunyan is a mythological lumberjack who appears in tall tales of American folklore. The character originated in the work of American journalist James MacGillivray. Paul Bunyan is said to have created the Grand Canyon because his ax dragged across the floor and carved it out. And Minnesota is said to have 15,000 lakes because they are Babe's foot prints embedded in the land

for some of his stories check out

But I just came here because we were so close to it while we were visiting Lake Itasca... my mom's dream when she came to visit was to go see one of the Statues..but sadly they are all at minimum 2 and a half hours away from the Twin Cities... so we never made it. All she had to take home was a post card she found in the Mall of America.

But the site isn't the best... it is a tourist attraction to say you have seen it... sort of like saying you've seen the largest ball of twine. If you're in the area... go ahead and take your picture with it... if you're not... don't drive the couple hours unless you really want to.

Check Bemidji Hotel Deals