1237 East Passyunk Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, USA

Pat's King of Steaks Philadelphia Reviews

marksreynolds marksrey…
The Original Cheesesteak May 24, 2009
Pat’s King of Steaks has been around since 1930, and the founders, Pat & Harry, are credited as the 1933 creators of the Philly Cheesesteak. Just like Geno’s across the street, this is a no frills place and you order from a small window and sit at tables outside on the sidewalk. There is always a line, so be ready with your order when you get to the window. In my opinion, the steak here was a bit chewy, but very tasty and I liked the fries here at Pat’s better than at Geno’s. The steak at Pat’s is chopped, where the steak at Geno’s is not, so I enjoyed the sandwich at Geno’s better, and the bread was very good too! There is not much meat used at both Pat’s and Geno’s, but Pat's did seem to give you more, and it’s the way it was first served many decades ago.

If you are in Philly and want to try the original, give Pat’s a try and make your own comparisons.
One wiz witout from Pat's
Lena tring out a cheesesteak at Pa…
pinchora pinchora
The original Philly Cheese Steak! Jan 08, 2009
So in August of 2007 I went to Philly with my aunt and I really wanted to go to Pat's... but we ended up on an adventure to Tony Lukes (there's a review about that one too)...We never made it to Pat's so when my friend Allisha and I were at the King of Prussia Mall and she asked how close philly was to get a cheese steak I could feel my eyes lighting up... finally I get to go to Pat's. Well, FYI... Pat's is 16.4 miles away from King of Prussia according to my Garmin GPS.

We made the treck into town and drove up... while we were driving she asked me how I knew where to go... I was like... I always wanted to try the place that was coined with originating the Philly Cheese Steak.

We drove up and she started to get excited... right in front of us was 2 cheese steak places she recognized from TV... Geno's (which she said looks like something that should be on the Vegas strip) and Pat's... we walked up to the window and ordered the Philly way with onions and cheez wiz and got some fries and headed back to the car to eat... they are a walk up window...no indoor dining.

The sandwich was delicious... the meat was a tad bit dry but it was still good and flavorful and the bread was great! The fries there are the most unbelievable fries that Allisha and I have ever gotten... Yummmm... You definitley have to get the fries!!!

Allisha and I were going to go get Geno's too but we were too full to even try! Maybe my next trip to Philly!
Pat's King of Steaks
How to order a real philly cheese …
mmmm...
The best french fries EVER!!!
marksreynolds says:
We'll be going here in a few days...can't wait!!
Posted on: May 20, 2009
RuttiTootie RuttiToo…
Affordable meal, but you get what you pay for. Nov 16, 2008
Pat's King of Steaks is about a half mile outside of the "city" of Philadelphia. Honestly, I don't know what the commotion is about. I've had a ton of cheesesteaks in my lifetime and I really wasn't impressed at Pat's. You have your choice of 3 different cheeses, with cheese whiz being the original version. "Whiz-Wit" is the term used when ordering a cheesesteak with onions and cheese whiz. It's a large hero/hoagie/sandwich (whatever you want to call it) and it's average at best. I don't know what separates this joint from other competitors, but if you're looking for grease dripping down your arm and bread that is tasteless... then go for it! After all, when in Philly... you HAVE TO try at least one cheesesteak.

The lines can be ridiculously long, but move fairly quickly. Also, they only provide outdoor seating so I strongly suggest that you avoid this place in the winter or when it's cold out.

Keep in mind that this is only my review. I've known friends that have loved this place. In my opinion, you get what you pay for with Pat's.

mrgishi mrgishi
Original but not the best Aug 07, 2008
I've been to many cheesesteak places in Philly, but I had to try Pat's out since I've always heard of them and they are supposed to be the original (thought that is disputed with Geno's across the street). So I took my brother and niece there when they came to visit. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed. They serve you "Soup Nazi" style because the lines are always long, so I would have expected better cheesesteak. I'm sure they get a lot of business based on their fame. Because of their lines, they make the steaks in an assembly line, so they have been sitting there instead of being made right when you order like most places. The steak cut seems to be a little thicker and has more fat, which should give more flavor, but I found it to be too chewy. The bread is decent, but I was not impressed otherwise. There is no indoor seating either. I've had better at Jim's, Rick's, and Chubby's.
igor1921 igor1921
Pats Jul 22, 2008
The food is good, the amount of french fries and soda for your buck is great. And above all if you can't order in English don't worry they have a staff that speaks several languages unlike other cheesesteak places in our city.Don't forget to look at the pictures.
Anthony3 Anthony3
Jul 29, 2007
If you want a cheese steak go to Pats, and get it with whiz. Genos and Jims suck.
Sept922 says:
None of them are bad..it is just personal preference and what you are used to. If you want a good Philly cheesesteak you can't lose at all 3.
Posted on: Jul 05, 2011
Flyinhigh says:
Wish I'd read this before going to Jim's...Jim's was just average in my opinion. Have you tried Tony Luke's?
Posted on: Feb 04, 2009
JenCooks86 says:
Hmmm Pats definitely has the best fries...but Genos steaks are a little better...the best with whiz! ;)
Posted on: Nov 12, 2008
Maui Maui
Sep 04, 2005
Philadelphia is the home of the famous cheese steak. We went to Pat's and then Gino's. But I remember liking Pat's better with the cheese wiz. You have to order fast, or else they'll yell at you to hurry up.
Sept922 says:
Jim's is my favorite!
Posted on: Jul 05, 2011
Maui says:
Pat's and Gino's are actually right across from eachother. We ate at both, one after the other :-).

Just recently, a phili local recommended a place called Jim's on 4th and South Street: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/jims.htm
I've never been before, but they say it's better than Pat's or Gino's
Posted on: Aug 05, 2007
pinchora says:
Is t his the first cheese steak place? Or is Gino's? Or which one is it? I'm going next week and want to get a original philly cheese steak!
Posted on: Aug 01, 2007