Pateo de Garrett

Rua Maria Eugenia Reis F Navarro 7, Sintra, Portugal

Pateo de Garrett Sintra Reviews

jonselig jonselig
Ripoff/Tourist Trap Sep 17, 2011
As a solo traveller, looking for a place to eat, I was disappointed, deceived and ripped off.

I had checked out the outside menu, and mains seemed to be reasonable (9-12 Euros). I saw a chicken dish I had wanted, and went downstairs to get a table.

The inside of this place was FULL of Portuguese people, and the outside patio seemed to be where all the tourists were sitting. I did want to sit on the patio, and was seated next to a garbage can (whose visiting flies harassed me my whole meal).

After keeping me waiting for 15 minutes or so before coming over, the waiter comes by, and before saying hello, he takes a look at what language my Lonely Planet was in.

I ask him "may I see the menu", just to make my final choice. He informs me that there are only 4 choices of BBQ fish for lunch. I thought that was a bit bizarre (they have this massive menu posted outside). He lists of the fish, quotes no prices. I ask how much for the sea bass, and it's 13 Euros. I'm honestly exhausted, and hungry, and just want to eat, see the rest of Sintra.

In classic European fashion, he doesn't inform you of what's included, and what's not, and asks me if I would like a side salad to accompany the meal. I said fine. I admit, I should have asked more questions.

The fish was fine, nothing special, came with a few cooked veggies, and three small potatoes. The salad was a big one, and then I knew I had been played a bit. When the bill came, the damage (with NO alcohol) was 22 Euros. The food probably cost him no more than 4-5 Euros.

I told him that I his prices were completely unreasonable, and I had come into his restaurant because of the menu advertised, and that in future, they should treat tourists with more respect. He couldn't have cared less. I am suggesting you avoid this place. There are plenty other affordable, transparent eating choices in Sintra.

Check Sintra Hotel Deals