Pateo Dos Solares

Pateo Dos Solares Rates and Deals

Pateo Dos Solares Estremoz Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Luxury in a castle Nov 20, 2004
I left Sevilla in the morning having a goal to visit the little city of Redondo, where I wanted to visit a huge pottery in the city centre. It was fairly warm for being this time a year and I was enjoying the views and sights of Alentejo, which is one of my favourite parts of Portugal. I decided to continue a bit further north after my visit to Redondo; and I headed for the city of Estremoz that is located in the heart of the Upper Alentejo.

Estremoz is a old city that has a long history, which many trace back to the rime of the Roman The town played a valiant part in the Christian re-conquest of the Iberian Peninsula, and its name appears to mean “extreme place”, in other words a borderland between two military domains. The newer history dates back to when King Afonso III gave orders for a settlement to be established and granted the first royal charter on 22 December 1258.

As I came to the city I was thinking about taking the hotel that I stayed at the last time here which was situated at the Town Square but I decided to try the towns Pousada; Páteo dos Solares. It would usually be quite expensive to stay there but I was off season so I was sure I could get a good price.

Páteo dos Solares was a former castle and within its walls some important events in the history of Portugal took place, and King Manuel I incorporated it into the crown and granted Estremoz a new charter on 1 de June 1512. The choirmaster of Evora, Manuel Severim de Faria, described it as 'one of the noble towns of Portugal' and referred to 'the large public square, surrounded by houses on all sides' The town was of strategic importance in the Wars of Restoration (1641-1666), when the castle became a focus for resistance against the Spanish armies occupation.

Using a castle as a hotel gives some good opportunities for great rooms and the halls are usually enormous and pompous. The reception was nice and manned with a young guy that gave me a good offer on the room.

The room was really nice; it was huge and nicely decorated with matching soft colours in red, soft yellow and beige. The bed was huge and the bathroom was quite nice too. I quickly decided to take a hot bath in the tub and I really enjoyed looking over the town from a round window and admiring the wall being more than one meter thick.

Not long after ending my bath and enjoying the soft carpet and bathrobe it rang on the door. Outside a beautiful young girl in uniform stood and asked me if she should prepare the room for the night. I almost lost my chin but let her in. She started to fluff the pillows and made the bed and then she left; apparently it was not my lucky day anyway.

I got dresses and went to the hotel’s restaurant; Azulaich where I had a great meal. It was really a nice stay.
The room and the fantastic windows
The hall area
The pool
The bed
almond72 says:
The place sounds great! Was this review helpful -Yes!
Trustworthy ?--hmmm.. I don't quite trust the uniformed hotel staff leaving bit. hahahaha
Posted on: Aug 04, 2010
Chokk says:
Posted on: Jul 08, 2010
Glynnes says:
Lovely hotel and photos. Thanks!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2010

Pateo Dos Solares Overview

The Pateo Dos Solares is situated in the heart of Estremoz, and is renowned for its service and comfort.

The Pateo Dos Solares caters for families with children offering babysitting / child services. The hotel has conference room(s), an outdoor pool and a 24 hour reception. The hotel conveniently provides free parking for guests. Wi-Fi is available for use. It also offers meeting rooms, a laundry service and a concierge.

For the comfort and safety of guests, the Pateo Dos Solares offers non-smoking rooms. Private bathrooms have bathrobes, a hydro-massage bathtub and a hair dryer. Rooms include a mini bar, a refrigerator and a safe. As standard all rooms are air conditioned and also feature a TV and cable / satellite channels.

The Pateo Dos Solares features an on-site restaurant, convenient for guests preferring to dine in. Guests can order room service any time of the day.

Pateo Dos Solares Amenities

• Garden
  • Direct dial phone
  • Disabled Accessible Rooms
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes