Passau is known as the City of Three Rivers because the Danube River is joined here by the Inn River from the South, and the Ilz River coming out of the Bavarian Forest to the North.
But Passau offers not only lots of water, it is also the site of the St. Stephen’s Cathedral. The “Dom”, as it is called in German, is famous for being a masterpiece of Italian Baroque architecture and for having the world’s largest church pipe organ with a total of 17,774 pipes (the smallest one being 6mm and the biggest one being 11m).
Another popular sight is the Veste Oberhaus, the former fortress of the Bishop, which is situated on the mountain crest between the Danube and the Ilz rivers and provides a great view over the city and its rivers.
On the right bank of the Danube stands Passau's town hall dating back to the 14th century and a 38 meter high tower which was added in 1890. Inside the town hall are some colossal paintings of the Nibelungensage created by Ferdinand Wagner.
Lying on the confluence of three rivers it is only natural that Passau has to deal with floodings almost every year. It often happens that both Danube and Inn flood and meet in the middle on Passaus peninsula. All over the Old Part of town you can see signs on the walls showing how high the floodings have been in the past.
Passau is a lovely little city with a population of only about 50,000 of whom about 10,000 are students at the local University of Passau, so there is understandably also a great number of bars, pubs and nightclubs (and five breweries).
Lindau (a town and island) is located in the Southern part of Bavaria at the Eastern part of the Lake Constance. It is situated near the borders of Switzerland and Austria.
The historic cit…