Pasado del Rey Ixcateopan Reviews
Pasado del Rey Dec 13, 2009
Pasado del Rey is a traditional posada owned and operated by Senora Rosa Quintana Hernandez. Do not be fooled when you enter and find yourself in a traditional living room. All the rental rooms are located behind this living room. There may be no one present when you first enter, but be patient and make your presents know in a polite way. Sra. Rosa Quintana Hernandez has 10 nice rooms to choose from. Sra. Rosa Quintana Hernandez run a clean, friendly and helpful posada. Sra. Rosa Quintana Hernandez is from Ixcateopan and is very knowledgeable about what is available in Ixcateopan and the surrounding area. The rooms are bright, quaintly decorated and have a private bath with hot water. Sra. Rosa Quintana Hernandez has been asking 250 Mexican Pesos per room. This is a wonderful price being there is no other hotel type facility in Ixcateopan. Sra. Rosa Quintana Hernandez can arrange for a guide if you would like.
Ixcateopan has a wonderful village market that attracts farmers and craft people from a fairly large area. This is not like the market area in Taxco. you will not see much silver jewelry.
One of the historic interest in the village of Ixcateopan is the former church of Santa Maria de la Asunción and the purported remains (los restos) of Cuauhtémoc, means “descending eagle” or “plunging eagle”, the last ruling Aztec Emperor. The Santa Maria de la Asunción is a typical small Roman Catholic church on the outside. However, once you enter you will soon notice the near total lack of Catholic symbols. The only remaining Catholic traces are several built-in altars along the exterior walls. All have been decorated with artwork depicting the glorious life of Cuauhtémoc. The main front alter has replace by a glass display case displaying the purported skeleton of Cuauhtémoc. Near this display there is typically an attendant to answer your questions. The village had kept the resting place of Cuauhtémoc secret for 424 years. The archaeologist Eulalia Guzman eventually put the pieces together in 1949. (This was still a free museum on my last visit! however, donation are accepted and needed.)
There is an additional tribute to Cuauhtémoc across the street from the former church of Santa Maria de la Asunción. The village of Ixcateopan have created a small museum devoted to Cuauhtémoc, Museo de la Resistencia Indigena.
Cuauhtémoc was the last Aztec emperor. Cuauhtémoc was born in Ixcateopan on February 23, 1501. His mother, Cuayauhtitali, was the eldist daughter of the high lord of Ixcateopan. Ixcateopan was conquered by the Aztecs. Cuayauhtitli was taken to the capital of the Aztec Empire, Tenochtitlan. Cuayauhtitli was married to an Aztec prince, Ahuizotl. Cuahtémoc is thought to have been a child of Cuayauhtitli and Ahuizotl. Cuauhtémoc was educated as a royal family member and returned Ixcateopan to oversee his homeland. In 1519, Cuauhtémoc was summoned back to Tenochtitlan to help with the defense of the capital. Cuauhtémoc was named Emporor shortly after death of Emperors Moctezuma II and Cuitláhuac. Cuauhtémoc was capture by Cortez during a battle on Lake Texoco between some Aztec war canoes and several small Spanish sailing ships in 1521. Cuauhtémoc capture mark the fall of Tenochitlan. Cortes took Cuauhtémoc and other Aztec lords as a prisoner on a campaign of conquest through the southern jungles. Cuauhtémoc and nine other high ranking Aztec lords endured years of torture by Cortez and his men. Cortez was attempting to cause Cuauhtémoc and his companions to divulge the location of Aztec gold and silver reserves. Cuauhtémoc and his fellow captives never revealed the location of the gold and silver Cortez sought. Cuauhtémoc and nine other Aztec lords were hung by Cortez near a place called Izancánac in the State of Chiapas in February 28th of 1525. The remains of Cuauhtemoc, the nine Aztec lords and a priest who opposed their execution were transported to Ixcateopan and buried.
Sometime in 1949 the Priest of Ixcateopan sent to the National Museum a frayed and yellowed manuscript that had been given to him by an indigenous farmer whose family had preserved that document since the mid 1500s. This document was signed by a known companion of Cortez, Padre Francisco Toribio de Benavente. The Native American allies of Cortez had called Padre Francisco Toribio de Benavente, Motolinia (the Poor Man), because of his strict adherence to his vowels of poverty. This document told the story of how Motolinia and a group of Aztec warriors cut down Cuauhtemoc's body and those of his fellow victims. It spoke of an embalming process that included smearing the bodies with a paste of herbs. The document told of how Cuauhtémoc’s body had been initially buried at the palace of his maternal grandparents in 1525. In 1529, Fray Toribio de Benavente had the body moved to a spot in front of the destroyed pagan temple, where the Church of Santa María de la Asunción would be built over him. The document included the story of the overland trek of hundreds of miles to Ixcateopan. Fray Torbio de Benavente, wrote texts about the death and burial of Cuauhtémoc which were initially kept at the Church of San Hipólito in Mexico City but somehow wound up in the hands of the family of Salvador Rodriguez Juárez, who was the doctor of Ixcateopan in the first half of the 20th century. The documents had been passed down in his family for generations. The story ends with the burial of Cuauhtemoc's body and the erection of a church above the crypt. The document indicated that this tomb was nearly directly under the main altar of the church.
Ultimately Dr. Eulalia Guzman, the Director of the National Museum had the document deciphered and authenticated. Dr. Eulalia Guzman led an expedition to Ixcateopan to excavate the site. The main altar of the church was dismantled and taken away and began to excavate below it. Approximately 1.5 meters below the surface of the church floor was found a rock layer that covered a mass of burials that dated from the early colonial period. Approximately 1 meter below these burials was a layer of stucco and adobe bricks, then a layer of loose rock of mixed sizes, "a momeztli". Beneath the moneztli was a East-west oriented cavity with the remains of several bodies that were dated to the 16th century. Below this was an engraved oval copper disc lying on a huge stone slab. The copper disc had on it a small cross with the words Senor y Rey and Coatemo (alternate spellings of Cuauhtemoc) beneath it. The large stone slab covered a small vault. In the vault were the skeletal remains of a human, a spear point, 37 stone beads, two jade rings, three faceted amethysts stones, and a large uncut diamond.
Once Doctor Guzman finished observing the contents of the vault, she grabbed a Mexican flag went to the door of the church and announced that "The remains of the last Emperor of the Aztecs have been found."
The Sunday "tianguis" market typically forms along Calle Guerrero. The market will include produce, had crafts, small eateries and most essential for life in and around Ixcateopan.
The archaeological site of Ixcateopan is south of the Santa María de la Asunción Museum on Vicente Guerrero Street. The site of Ixcateopan has been occupied from 350 AD to 1450 AD. Excavations have revealed at least five construction stages. The last three construction phase occurred from 1350 AD to 1450 AD. Currently there is no evidence of monumental construction after 1450 AD. There is evidence of structural maintenance and occupation up to the mid 1520s. The archeological zone consists of a series of stone and mortar constructions over a natural elevation and occupied about 5,000 square meters. Structures are made from local materials and include field flagstone, limestone, marble and pebbles/boulder that were covered in stucco and painted. It is open to the public and free. There are many good photographic opportunities.
Ixcateopan de Cuauhtémoc is a town and municipality located in the northern part of Guerrero State, Mexico. This is a very rugged and isolate mountainous area. Ixcateopan de Cuauhtémoc is located 36km west of Taxco de Alarcón. Unlike Taxco, the vegetation surrounding Ixcateopan is forested with pine, cedar (red and white) and walnut trees. Along the highway to Ixcateopan de Cuauhtémoc is a waterfall, Cascada de Cacalotenango. There is a small chapel at the top of the waterfall. The name Ixcateopan is likely from the Nahuatl language of the Aztec. Ixcateopan has been interpreted as meaning cotton temple. There is some evidence that Ixcateopan was originally named Zompancuahuithli and was changed to Ixcateopan after the remains of Cuauhtemoc was brought to Ixcateopan. “De Cuauhtémoc” was added to Ixcateopan by a Congresstional act in 1950.
The area around Ixcateopan was inhabited before the Spanish Conquest by the Cohuixas and the Chontals. The ruin at the southern edge of Ixcateopan back to at least 350 AD. These structures were an important ceremonial center Tribute distribution center and military garrison. The Aztec tribute records indicates that the Ixcateopan area was an important cotton agricultural area and a significant producer of cotton products. Ixcateopan was one of the last cities to be subjugated by the Aztec Empire. Once Ixcateopan became a stable part of the Aztec Empire it began to receive emigrants from other parts of the Aztec Empire. The emigrants included nobles, soldiers, tax collectors, crafts people and long distant traders. Ixcateopan became a military outpost to facilitate wars with the P'urhépecha empire.
Ixcateopan was a Chontal settlement that was conquered by the Aztecs, by Moctezuma I and Ahuitzotl. The Chontales are a little-known group with most information about them coming from documents written in 1579, but nothing of their language is known as no human remains from their burials have been found.
Part of the list Hotels I Have Enjoyed With Former TravBuddy Drivestoooofast.
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!