Parthenon and Temple of Olympian Zeus

Athens, Greece

Parthenon and Temple of Olympian Zeus Athens Reviews

loripori loripori
The Mighty Parthenon Jan 18, 2017
I came to Athens as a student in 1969. Then you could still go inside the venerable columns of the mighty Parthenon. My how things have changed. Now it is all roped off and someone actually blows a whistle at you if you dare come near it - which is the way it should be I guess. People have ruined it over the years.It's been standing this long and should be standing for generations to come.

ATHENS - Capital of Greece - Cradle of Democracy - Birthplace of Western Civilization! Whatever you want to call it.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Hans and I were here on a number of occasions during this vacation, but this is the day we planned to go to the Acropolis.

I am glad we waited until the end of our vacation, as the first week we were here, it rained just about every day.

We picked a warm, sunny day - perfect for exploring and walking up hills and steps, which there is plenty of at the Acropolis. Would it be the same as I remembered. It seemed small to me then and when you're young you don't appreciate what you're seeing anyway. This time I can share this experience with Hans. It truly is a magical place. We just sat there on a bench and looked at the Parthenon in awe as many others were doing.

When you think of Athens, you think of the Acropolis and THE PARTHENON.

I was last here at the Acropolis 48 years ago - 1969 to be exact.

Will it be as beautiful as I remembered?? When you make the climb up to the Acropolis you know that you're on your way to see Greece's most famous Temple - The Parthenon. And yes, it was as beautiful as I remembered and larger than life. My only disappointment was that it was so crowded.

People lived on the Acropolis as early as 5000 B.C. The Parthenon was a monument to the Greek goddess Athena and built between 472 and 433 B.C. The most characteristic feature in the architecture and decoration of the Temple is the Ionic frieze, which is carved in bas-relief and runs around the exterior wall.

Joint ticket for the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum was 12 Euros (2007). Save your ticket as it is also good for the Temple of the Olympian Zeus. You can reach the path to the ticket booth and entrance by following Dionissiou Areopayitou or Odos Theoria.
The Caryatids
The Parthenon
mackcushing mackcush…
Detroit may be prettier... May 17, 2013
Beauty exists in every little corner of the world. I am yet to find a destination unattractive. But if I had to disclose a disappointing arrival, it would have to be that of Athens, Greece. I love and have studied Greek Mythology for a long time. I expected an ancient and charming city that was dripping with history and knowledge to be shared. This was lacking.

Zeus's temple was no more than a construction sight and it was extremely crowded. The economic heartbreak was devastating and the city seemed to no longer have the financial requirements to keep their capital city well trimmed and beautiful. From a rooftop in the heart of the city, the view was no more then a white concrete jungle with wires, graffiti, and cables.

I would love to go back to Delphi, Greece or any of the other cities, towns or islands that are surrounding Athens... just not the big daddy's hangout I guess. Not what it's made out to be, you know?

I don't want to be too harsh on the city though. The country's economy needs the tourism and the temple does have it's wonders. I live across from Detroit, Michigan (destroyed and almost burned down from riots during the civil rights movement and is currently still recovering) and to be honest, I think it may be prettier. But the temple is a must see, so you should obviously visit if in the area. But please don't set yourself up for disappointment by setting your standards too high.
fransglobal says:
Athens is a dump. It is a must though. Delphi is wonderful as is Cape Sounion. Both are easy daytrips from Athens.

Posted on: May 18, 2013
eugene186 eugene186
Parthenon An Ancient Tresure Mar 29, 2011
The Parthenon, a marble temple built in honour of the Greek goddess Athena, is located atop the Acropolis, a rocky outcrop dominating the centre of modern Athens.

The Athenian leader Pericles commissioned the construction of the Parthenon complex in 447BC on the site where it is said that Athena battled with Poseidon for control of the capital of Attica. In the course of its history, the Parthenon has survived occupation, civil war and pillaging by Victorian tourists.

With the recent opening of the New Acropolis Museum earlier this year, there is now an impressive permanent exhibition of the Parthenon’s treasures.

The Acropolis site is open daily from 8am-7pm (April-Dec) and 8.30am-2.30pm (Jan-Mar). The admission fee is 12 euros (£10.70) for adults, with free entry for under-18s and EU students. The site also offers free entrance on Sundays from November to March.

The New Acropolis Museum (www.newacropolismuseum.gr) is open daily except Mondays from 8am-8pm. The general admission fee is 1 Euro.
Greek_traveller Greek_tr…
Cultural heritage Mar 23, 2011
The main symbol of classic architecture. You see this architecture all over the world, especially in the west, especially in western Europe and the US. This is the original. A landmark of world's civilization and must see when you are in Athens. After the destruction in Asia Minor in 1922, millions of Greece moved from Asia Minor (nowaday Turkey) to Athens, so buildings had to be built up very quickly so Athens is not a particularly beautiful city in general (though it has its spots if you know where to go), but this monument is a must see as it's a symbol of the basis of western civilization and symbol of three of the most important things Greek civilization gave to the world, namely democracy, philosophy and drama. Parthenon is a temple of the goddess Athena. As Matt Barett states: 'it was the most perfect building built by the world's most advanced civilization and even though we have been studying it for centuries we are still not sure how they did it.' (http://www.athensguide.com/acropolis.html)
Julesie Julesie
Parthenon - The place to visit Mar 08, 2011
Affordable site to visit. This has to be one of the most impressive structures remaining from the ancient world - a must see!!

Ashame there is quite alot of scaffolding!
jennal24 jennal24
Sep 11, 2007
The Parthenon was absolutely georgous! It is definitely a must see how they built these huge buildings a long time ago. The detail of the pillars and the roof of these buildings were amazing. If you ever get a chance to go there, you must see these places.
My husband and I at the Parthenon …

Check Athens Hotel Deals