Paragliding Lions Head

Cape Town, South Africa
Paragliding Lions Head - Just after 'take off'
Paragliding Lions Head - Getting harnessed up ready to fly
Paragliding Lions Head - Getting harnessed up ready to fly
Paragliding Lions Head - Me in my helmet!
Paragliding Lions Head - Flying!

Paragliding Lions Head Cape Town Reviews

Pickleson Pickleson
Elegantly Exhilarating! Jul 06, 2008
When you're a child you have dreams that you can fly high like a bird in the sky, but when you grow up you can't seem to fly quite as high anymore, or you simply can't fly at all. Yes - I know this all sounds a bit like peter pan but you'll have to admit it does make a little sense! Apparently it's to do with your imagination!

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that paragliding allows you to have the real sensation of flying like a bird! Now who would'nt want that!

In December 2007, I was walking up Lions Head with some friends & family and saw some people paragliding, I had always thought that it looked like fun but had never had the guts to go for it. After watching a few guys take off and how much fun they seemed to be having I decided to do it! A spur of the moment decision that I did not regret! I ask someone for details, and later that day I called and make a booking for the next day. Providing the weather was good I was going to go paragliding!

So the next day I hadn't heard anything different so we set off, we trapsed back up the mountain to the 'take off strip'.

Unfortunately by the time I got up there the wind had changed, so I had to wait for quite a long time before I could fly.

When it was time to go, we got all harnessed up, layed the parashoot out, and started running towards the edge of the mountain, the parashoot very soon caught the thermals and I could feel it pulling me off the ground, when I could no longer touch the ground I sat back into my rucksack come seat and I was Flying!! The flight didn't last long, about 15mins in total but it was brilliant! You really do get the feeling that you are flying. I was showed how to control the parashoot and was given a chance to actually fly for myself. We landed on a large grassy area right next to the beach, outside a restaurant! I enjoyed everysecond of it, and would recommend it for anyone who has ever wanted to experience what it must be like to fly!

A few tips!

Take a large bottle of water incase you have to wait on a mountain in the sun like I did.

Wear suitable footwear, like a decent pair of trainers, you may have to walk further up a mountain than you expected to.

Wear suitable clothes - shorts are best in my opinion, If you have to wait in the sun your not going to overheat! There is a misconseption that it is quite cold when you are flying.

Take Sun Cream!!

It cost me about R800, and the flight could last for anytime between 10 and 30 mins.

I can't remember what the company was called but if you went into the nearest tourist information centre to Lions head I'm sure they would be able to give you a leaflet.

I hope my experience has encouraged you to want to do this. If so - Happy Flying!
Just after 'take off'
Getting harnessed up ready to fly
Me in my helmet!
Getting harnessed up ready to fly
SheLuvz2Fly says:
Coool! Thanks for posting!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2011