Paradise Lodge

Arba Minch, Ethiopia

Paradise Lodge Arba Minch Reviews

Vlindeke Vlindeke
Breathtaking view Jan 02, 2012
Another hotel which is difficult to rate, please read my review!

Approaching the Paradise Lodge I wondered where we were going to end up. We drove through a somewhat messy residential area. It looked like a large building site. Then we passed the guarded gate of Paradise Lodge. The reception building (with a wonderful ceiling) was right at the parking. From this building (and from the restaurant and from the cottages on the front row) a breath taking panoramic view (see my photos) on Lake Abaya and Lake Chamo. We turned out to be lucky and were housed in a front row cottage, number 115.

From the reception building you first get to the restaurant (with a lovely terrace with the same magnificent view as mentioned before). Then the cottages are lined up in two rows. One row with view on the lakes and jungle, one row only with a view on the front row cottages and an exotic garden. The front row cottages house only one room.

Our cottage, covered with beautiful bougainvillea, was spacious. Completed with a nice terrace. But, why, why, why, why they don’t fix the fence (to prevent guest to fall down ), why they don’t repair failing bathroom equipment, broken furniture etc.

A beautiful, spacious cottage, nicely furnished…. but, a leaking boiler (resulting in a slippery floor), no hot water at the sink, hardly any hot water at the shower. A broken closet. Garbage around the terrace.

Both nights we had a buffet style dinner at the terrace. Food was okay. Inside the restaurant they performed a cultural show with music and dance on the first night. We only heard it. And the next day we were told (by guests having dinner inside) we missed a great show!

Breakfast turned out to be buffet style. Just okay! And again with a breathtaking view! After our boat trip on the lake (see my blog) we came back to Paradise Lodge and, guess what, the boiler was not leaking anymore. Later it turned out that they just switched it off. No hot water at all anymore.

That afternoon I had a drink at the restaurant terrace and all of a sudden there was a fuzz. People screaming…. a big baboon jumped on a table (where a family with children just had finished their lunch), jumped on my table ( I just protected my tab, how silly), jumped on another table where 3 people were having lunch and grabbed their food. The ladies were screaming, the staff turned up with sticks to shoo the baboon away, leaving the terrace in a mess. So this is another reason why they put an ugly fence along the ‘cliff’. Not only to protected guest to fall down, as well to prevent animals entering the garden.

By the way, in the restaurant area free wifi is provided!

We had some laundry done, it was cheap, but not very effective. I guess the laundry was dried on a lawn. There was some grass, straw at the laundry as we got it back.

Staff is friendly, but they can’t deliver what they promise to do (we’ll clean your bathroom, we’ll fix the boiler, we’ll organize a four wheel drive car for you…. etc.).

More information at: