Papaya Hostel

Check Bonito Hotel Deals

Papaya Hostel Bonito Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Papaya Hostel Oct 23, 2016
Papaya Hostel is the most famous hostel in Bonito, but they did not have any Papaya for the breakfast…

I got to Bonito because it was advertised and an gateway to beautiful clear rivers, jungle and swamps of Pantanal. All of it is truth, BUT the problem is that EVERYTHING is far away from the town… I think that closest thing to do was around 10km away and most of the things are in 50-60km range. Immediately I felt like I got into tourist trap and in my opinion that’s exactly what this was.

Hostel is couple blocks from the bus station and few from the main and only interesting street in Bonito. That street is lined up with tour agencies and funky telephone booths. Whole town works together to rip you off and every single “attraction” is overpriced. As a diver I was interested in a bit of diving and the price for their nicest dive was over $300!!!! For a single dive… It includes repelling to the underground lake but that is all.

Anyway, hostel is a horse shoe shape building on two floors, well designed for the hostel, and it also features the small pool. I liked the place immediately because they had Serbian flag right above the entrance. They left it there unintentionally and they have other flags around, but I liked that detail.

Entrance to the hostel is guarded by reception where you can get all kinds of information and tour ideas. I actually booked a tour to Pantanal farm with them, and it was great suggestion and well organized. They could not give me any good deal because every price is preset and they do not change it, which is extremely strange for any place in South America.

Bottom floor also features few hammocks and open kitchen/playground area. They do have billiard and some board games laying around. There is small kitchen that is used by the lady that makes breakfast, and that is some fruit, good juices, and bread with different spreads. On the second floor there is large room with a TV and sofas. Good place to check your mail and relax.

Dorm was on the second floor, 8 double beds in the shape of pods. Very well made construction, metal, good bedding and comfortable beds. There are lockers in the hallway but they are a bit flimsy. I had a feeling that any stronger wind can brake those lockers. Bathroom is spacious and nice. Couple stalls so more than one can go in which is good for dorms. Generally everything is very clean and good. On the main street, there are few local restaurants and few great carts with good warm meals. During the day, I found fantastic all you can eat Brazilian curasceria…. EXCELLENT… and just few blocks away.

There are few other hostels in town, but because of the location close to the bus station I have chosen this one. I can recommend the hostel, but not really the town of Bonito…

Check Bonito Hotel Deals