Panchetto Bistro

020 7836 8693

Panchetto Bistro London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Panchetto Bistro Jun 15, 2010
Panchetto Bistro is a small bistro on St Giles High Street, London. And just to start, I want to say that the waitress was lovely. As it is probably the only nice thing I am going to say, let’s say that first.

Of course, it was my own fault for going into an empty bistro for dinner. Rule 1 of restaurant choice is don’t pick the one that is empty. But, hey, it was a Tuesday and I thought it might be a quiet night. The restaurant was pleasantly decorated in hard woods with candles burning, eerily, and unattended.

The wine was OK, and to begin with, service was prompt. Of course, you’d expect that if you were the only one there. After a while, some young men came in and the waitress turned the telly on for the World Cup, with the volume almost but not quite off. This meant that I was drinking wine to the tune of a Rhianna album (fine) and the low buzz of those football trumpet things (less fine, for dinner at least). They left just as my risotto came out. The risotto was a little tasteless, and worse, slightly crunchy.

I decided to see if the meal could be salvaged with desert, and picked Crème Brulee as a likely safe bet. It wasn’t. It was the texture of scrambled eggs. By this time the bistro was filling up – I really feel for the other guests, as one of the other diners I saw was being served brown salmon. It’s also worth pointing out that the waitress forgot to tell me about the special offers and I only found out by overhearing her talking to someone else who asked about them. When it came time to pay my bill, she was outside talking on her mobile and it was only by conspicuously putting on my jacket that I got her attention. But she was very nice.

Don’t eat here, and please remember, if the restaurant is empty, even on Tuesdays, there may well be a reason for that!

Check London Hotel Deals