Panba Lakeside Lodge

Check Lijiang Hotel Deals

Panba Lakeside Lodge Lijiang Reviews

halilee halilee
Good, but needs some improvements Nov 04, 2013
I booked a suite for 3 nights at the panba guesthouse, however when I arrive the bring me to a queen room. I mention I booked a suite so they show me it, I walk in to an incomplete cement room with only a tv on one wall. No other furniture. The next room has the bedroom. I tell them I'll take the queen room instead but should get some kind of compensation for the price difference. They offered free breakfast which I accepted but do still think there should have been more compensation given the price difference between the rooms.

The queen room is a decent side with a large bed, 4 pillows, a great shower with lots of hot water and shower gel and shampoo. The views are stupendous, overlooking the lake and the jade mountain. The room is quite cold, there being no heating in the building, however, there is a heated bottom pad in the bed which is wonderful. The downfall is you are out of the way for the old town, about 15-20 mins depending on your chosen method of transportation.

You can book tickets to tiger leaping gorge and a few other attractions from here. The staff were cordial to me, however a friend of mine that was there with me had difficulty ordering food one day, 1st being told she couldn't have breakfast, and then at lunch she was told she couldn't order for 45 mins because the staff were eating. The eating area is very nice with comfy couches and big windows offering amazing views of the lake and mountain. There is also a pool table for use.

It costs about 12-15 rmb to take a taxi from old town to the hotel if you can get them to use a meter. From the guesthouse however, they always charge 30 rmb and you are probably better off taking the nearby bus for only 1 rmb. The hotel charges 120 rmb to take a taxi to the airport, which is about 45 mins drive. It's considerably cheaper to take a meter taxi to the guesthouse from the airport, or take the shuttle bus from the airport to the last stop for 20 rmb and then taxi the rest of he way.

The main negative I would have to say is that I wanted to go out with some friends one night and was told I had to be back by midnight as they lock up the doors and no one will be around to let me in!!! No night staff at all! I was not happy at all and actually ended up paying for another hostel that night as I didn't get back to the hotel in time. This is totally unacceptable in my opinion. That said, if you plan on going out at all late in the evening, this is not the place for you as you will get locked out without access to you room or your belongings.

It's difficult to say whether or not I would recommend this place. The rooms are great with stunning stunning views, but there are definitely some kinks that need to be worked out, most notably the lack of night staff and being locked out of the hotel with no way to get in. If you can get around that, and if you want peace and quite, away from the main hub/ center of lijiang, then this is a great choice. If you plan on going out late at night or want to be where the action is, you might want to lol elsewhere.
sitting area outside