Panathenaic Stadium

Panathenaic Stadium Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
The first Olympic Game Stadium ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

It has withheld the test of time, and is one of the few ancient stadiums to host significant international modern sports and cultural events. One glance at the roster of "performers" and "clients" over the years is testament to its unique character: from the Panathenaia festival in the 4th century B.C. to the Greek MTV launch concert in 2008 or the to 2500 year marathon end !

The stadium's history also reads like a who's who in Athens history beginning in 330 B.C. when Athenian financier Lykourgos supervised its construction, which at the time consisted of wooden seats and was used to house the Panathenaia festival every four years. In 1869, well known architect Ernst Ziller excavated the site and in 1894, when Athens undertook the revival of the Olympic Games, architect Anastassios Metaxas drew up plans for its marble modernization. Four rows of marble seating were completed by the time the first modern Olympics took place, as were five bridges that extended across the river that once ran in front of the stadium on what is today Vassileos Konstantinou Avenue.

Construction was completed in its present format in 1906 and consists of 47 rows of seats and 60, 000 seating capacity. Each year the Athens Marathon terminates here.

This must-see monument opposite the Zappeion Gardens and beneath the hills of Ardettus, stands apart from the many in Athens, and, in the world.

The main name is Panathenaic Stadium .The Greek name is Panathinaiko stadio or Kallimarmaro !

Useful Links : http://www.panathenaicstadium.gr/Default.aspx?tabid=84&language=en-US

What around : Zappeion Garden (National Garden), Temple of Olympian Zeus , Panathinaikon Stadium , Syntagma , Greek Parliament .

How to go : Just couple meters away from Temple of Olympian Zeus , opposite to Zapeion Garden , at the begging of Vassileos Konstantinou Avenue ! Just walk :)

Tips :

Opening hours and tickets :

Summer (01/04-31/10) , 08:00-19:30 daily Mon 11:00-19:30

Winter (01/11-31/03) , 08:00-17:00 daily

Normal 3 Euro , Reduced 1,50 Euro .

Extra comment : I have strong feelings for this historical Stadium for many and various reasons ! Just born 100m away from there , from 13-18 years old I was athletic and run to this stadium and of course is first Olympic stadium ! When I was baby my parents get there for a walk , just 40 years ago :) Just add 3 photos from 1971!

I will add also a Journal entry for the 2500 years celebration of marathon with hundred photos included our ex prime minister GAP (George Andreas Papandreou) and post the link here ! The message of GAP from this game is "Run Greek Run" ...

The photos are a mix from 2006 - 2012 ! Three photos from 1971 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :).

Thanks for reading !
Just me ... Baby 6 months :) 2
Johnpro says:
Just a day don't connect to TB and had a feature :) Nice trick for my future reviews :)
I answer also in your profile one by one for your comment and wishes but ,
I want to really thank you for your supporting and your smiles around my reviews because without your help don't become a feature !
Thank you all of u !!!