Palazzo Parisio

www.palazzoparisio.com - 00 356 2141 2461

Palazzo Parisio Naxxar Reviews

jeminigirl jeminigi…
A Must See Palace Jul 16, 2015
Palazzo Parisio is situated in the village of Naxxar (pronounced Nasharr) and is an 18 century palace, Baroque in style. I visited here as part of a guided tour. From the outside it resembled the majority of Malta’s buildings, understated in many people’s opinions, but my, what an absolute stunning piece of architecture and decoration once through the main entrance.

Brief History

Palazzo Parisio was purchased by Marquis Giuseppe Scicluna in 1898, who was a wealthy Maltese Banker/Merchant. However, the Palace dates further back in time to when the Knights of St John ruled the island. According to records it was the residence of Grand Master Don Antonio Manoel de Vilhena, who used the palace as a hunting lodge during his time in Naxxar when spending time away from Valletta. After his death the property was taken over by the Order of St John and then probably acquired by the Parisio family. Future inhabitants of the palace were the Micallef family who began to rent the residence out to the Jesuit community. The Jesuits failed to reach an agreement to purchase the palace, and thus the property was acquired by the Marquis Giuseppe Scicluna.

Interior

The ceiling was the first thing that caught my eye on entering – stunningly beautiful, words could not possibly do it justice, so intricately painted, just beautiful. And the hall itself was beautifully decorated and had been painstakingly restored to its former glory. From the hall we were guided up a beautiful marble staircase to the upper level of the palace, here our guide pointed out that the marble banister was in fact one huge complete slab of marble. To think how that had been manoeuvred into place is just amazing.

As we were guided along from room to room our guide pointed out various paintings and murals and the history surrounding them. The rooms were beautifully decorated and preserved; it was like you had stepped back in time. One of the things that truly amazed me was how the walls had been decorated. To the eyes of a novice like myself and my fellow tourists they looked to be covered in deluxe wall paper – how wrong we were, each wall had been hand painted with very intricate, repetitive designs, just amazing.

The tour of the house included viewing the following:

Entrance Hall/Reception area

Bedroom/Johns Room

Chapel

Study

Music Room

Grand Ballroom (My absolute favourite room)

Billiard Room

We also had the opportunity to view the beautiful gardens from an upper balcony. It is not surprising that this beautiful palace has become a popular place for summer weddings.

The Palace also has an on site restaurant and tea room.

Unfortunately I do not have an admission price as it was included in my scenic bus tour - hence why I have cost it as average.

I would highly recommend spending half day visiting this hidden treasure of Naxxar.
Entrance hall
Ceiling in the entrance hall
Another beautiful ceiling painting
Quirky little statue - thought it …
rsvpme says:
Congratulations on being featured...!
vulindlela says:
Congrats!
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!

Check Naxxar Hotel Deals