Palazzo Medici

055 276 0340

Palazzo Medici Florence Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Great patronage Oct 14, 2010
Built in the fifteenth century for the powerful Medici family, this palace is a wonderful insight into the grandeur and lifestyle experienced by the Florentine banking elite of the time. The exterior of the building is rather plain and looks like some boring government building or even some old jail! Step inside however, and things get a lot grander.

The rooms are wonderfully laid out as you would expect, full of ornate and high quality furniture which you find hard to imagine that anyone would have sat on. The chapel inside the palace is very nice, a wonderful place of solace and reflection. The courtyard is nicely decorated and the gardens nearby reminded me of the Alhambra a little bit! Towards the end of the tour, there is this wonderful painting by Lippi of Madonna holding this monstrously huge Christ. It was Cosimo de Medici’s favourite!

Entrance fee is around 5-10 Euros and the museum is closed on Mondays. Whether you like it or not, Florence owes so much to the Medici banking family. Therefore, visiting here is the equivalent of paying respect to the greatest of Florence’s art patrons.
sandrasandraskobo says:
The only problem I encountered It was a kilometric queue. Luckily it's a solvable issue ...I booked tickets from the internet two days before and and I entered without losing time. I have booked on and I had no problems.

Posted on: Feb 09, 2012
montecarlostar says:
I don't know much either, but I think the Rotschilds were more art collectors than art promoters, as the Medicis surely were -they gave us the Reinassence, for Christ sake! ;)
Posted on: Jan 05, 2011
Vipin says:
i don't know much about the wonderful Rothschilds' art collection, so i'll take your word for it! at least they left us great art to look at :)
Posted on: Jan 05, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Palazzo Medici

Arriverdci Firenze
As today was my last day in Florence, it was a bittersweet day. I was excited about heading off to Rome that evening to spend a few days with a friend, but sad that my stay in Florence had whizzed by…Palazzo Medici. As the Medici dynasty are closely linked to the grandeur of Florence, closely associated with the banking industry…

Check Florence Hotel Deals