Palau de Musica

2 C. del Palau de la Música, Barcelona, Spain

Palau de Musica Barcelona Reviews

knowledgebee knowledg…
A Stunning Representation of Art Nouveau Architecture Dec 09, 2009
This is a gorgeous concert hall designed by Lluís Domènech i Montaner. In 2008, it was given the UNESCO world heritage site distinction for outstanding Art Nouveau architecture. They offer daily tours which can be purchased up to a week in advance. Plan accordingly as this is something worth seeing in Barcelona if you're a fan of architecture and/or Art Nouveau. I was unfortunate enough to show up on a day where there were no tours due to performances so I had to bit the bullet and buy the concert ticket. Luckily, the tickets were very reasonable priced and heavily subsidized due to Spain's firm belief in accessible art for all. What a concept, right?

Anyhow, the main concert hall has a dramatically placed convex stain glass dome that is suspended from the ceiling. If that isn't enough for you, almost everything else in the hall is a spectacular, ornate feast for the eyes. Aside from the concert hall do not miss the beautiful set of columns which can be seen from the upper floor above the ticket counter.

As a lover of Art Nouveau, I found El Palau de la Musica Catalana to be the most breathtaking architectural work in Barcelona.
Kalium_zer0 Kalium_z…
Sep 05, 2007
The Palau de Musica Catalana (Palace of Catalan Music) is one of the most beautiful buildings in Barcelona, and an amazing concert hall as well. It is, without doubt, one of the most important concert halls worldwide. Due to the structure of the roof, the acoustics are quite exceptional, which is only fair if world class musicians are invited to play there. During my visit in March 2006, a small chamber orchestra performed some pieces by Vivaldi, a genuinely beautiful experience.

And whether or not you are into classical music, the building itself deserves a visit. Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997, the building also represents the epitome of the modernist movement which was particularly strong in Barcelona. Guided tours are also available.

The only downside is the price. The cheapest tickets were around 15 euros and the most expensive tickets can be over 175. Regardless, visiting the Palau is one of my most memorable travel experiences and I warmly recommend it to anyone who is visiting Barcelona.
davidx davidx
Fantastic modernismo - but not Gaudi! Oct 14, 1999
What an amazing place - the foyer, where you can go for a coffee, is great enough - but I can't imagine anybody getting that far and not wanting to buy a ticket for a guided tour. I gather they do book up well in advance during the main tourist season but this was a problem I did not have to suffer.

The only time Gaudi gets a mention in the opening of the tour is to say that he had nothing to do with the Palau de la Musica. The building was designed by architect, Lluís Domènech i Montaner and built between 1905 and 1908. It was designed as a home for Barcelona's choir. It's worth remembering that Spanish modernism goes beyond Gaudi, great as he undoubtedly was.

Critics have argued that the ornamentation of the main concert hall in some way distracts the audience from the music. I remain to be convinced that great music is impoverished by great surroundings.

Related Travel Blogs About Palau de Musica

Final destination
I was so tired from the night train, I barely got any sleep.  We finally arrived in Barcelona, caught the metro and headed for the hostel.  We dropped off our things and decided to do the M…Barcelona, which was surrounded by scaffolding due to cleaning.   The next stop was at Palau de la Musica, which…
Our First Day in Spain!!!
The build up to this day was filled with so much excitement.  We had planned this trip out for over a year, and finally we had come to May 13, 2007.  We left Connecticut around noon for JFK…Barcelona so much.  Our apartment was in an area between the Palau de la Musica Catalana and the Santa…

Check Barcelona Hotel Deals